This recipe for mole verde is just one of the many Mexican mole recipes! I was craving tamales and wanted to try something different. Originally I prepared the mole verde with chicken pieces. You can find that recipe right here on my blog.
Cut Right To The Chase!
I had not intended on adding this as a blog post, so there are not many step by step shots. What there is, is this colorful step by step video of me preparing this recipe.
Aren’t Enmoladas Just Enchiladas?
Technically, yes, but when you here the word enmolada, you know it’s prepared with a mole sauce. It’s a bit more complex than just dried or fresh chiles with spices.
Step By Step Video Recipe!
Mole Verde With Shredded Chicken
- 4 large boneless chicken breast or thighs 3 1/2 pounds total
- Water to cover chicken
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup raw pepitas
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- Avocado oil
- 1 medium onion roughly chopped
- 4-5 Cloves of garlic sliced
- 4-6 serrano peppers sliced
- 6 tomatillos sliced in half
- 6 oz fresh spinach washed
- 3 oz fresh cilantro washed
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- 5 Cups chicken broth or water
- 1/4 cup chicken bouillon powder
- 1/4 cup masa harina corn flour
- To prepare the chicken, I placed it in my pressure cooker. Covered it with plenty of water and salt to taste. I cooked it under pressure for 35 minutes. You can also cook it on the stove top. Cover with water. Add salt to taste. Once it comes up to a simmer, continue cooking for 35 minutes. Chicken is easier to shred when warm. Return shredded chicken to broth and set aside. All I had was chicken breast on this day. The thigh meat yield a more tender and flavorful recipe, in my opinion.
- In a skillet at medium heat, add the pepitas and sesame seeds. After a minutes, drizzle in some oil. When it begins to sizzle, stir as needed. The seeds will brown slightly and begin to pop. At that point they are ready. Remove from the heat.
- At the same time. in a deep pot, add 3 tablespoons of oil and heat to medium. Drop in the onion, garlic, serrano peppers and tomatillos. Saute for 7-8 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Strain the broth from the cooked chicken and reserve both.
- To the blender add in all the toasted seeds and all of your sauteed vegetables. Pour in 3 cups of water or broth. Also add the spinach, cilantro, chicken bouillon, masa harina and oregano. Blend on high until very smooth.
- In that same large deep pot, drizzle in three tablespoons of oil and preheat at medium for a few minutes.
- After a few minutes, pour in the mole verde to the waiting pot. Stir well to combine. Pour in 2 cups of reserved broth. Stir well. Fold in the reserved shredded chicken. Taste for salt.
- Reduce the heat, cover and continue cooking until the liquid reduces by half. It will thicken and become darker in color. I prepared those easy enmoladas, but actually prepared the chicken for a tamal recipe. That recipe is coming next!
Cyril D. Piwetz
Chicken breasts are oh so stringy and chewy. Why don’t you use thighs?
Because that’s what I had that day. I am using up ingredients instead of buying more. Of course I prefer thighs, lol!!
I cook my breast in the pressure cooker, I didn’t think they were chewy at all. Especially when they cooked in the mole sauce all that time.