Shrimp ceviche for one! Because you are worth the effort, lol! Right off the bat I will tell you that I had to use a lightly dried cilantro because I was out of fresh. It was ok, but definitely use fresh when possible.
Why The Molcajete?
There is something so rewarding about using a Mexican molcajete. Grinding the spices, herbs and chiles really brings out the flavors by releasing the oils. It’s not for everyone, I understand, but I really enjoy it.
Lightly Dried Herbs
On occasion, I purchase lightly dried herbs like cilantro, parsley, chives and dill. I prefer them over the dried versions you may may in the spice aisle. On this day I was out of fresh cilantro! Oh, no! I try never to run out, but it happens. Ceviche needs some fresh herbs, in my opinion, to finish the dish.
Shrimp Ceviche For One!
- Coarse sea salt
- 1 large clove of garlic
- 1/2 tbsp dried chile piquin or chile de arbol crushed
- 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 4 large limes juiced
- 5 uncooked extra large or jumbo shrimp peeled and devein
- 4 previously cooked peeled and devein jumbo or extra large shrimp
- 1/4 c onion thinly sliced
- 1/3 c mini cucumbers sliced
- 5-6 cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1-2 tsps Maggi seasoning or soy sauce
- 2 large radishes sliced thin
- 1/2 tbsp cilantro finely chopped
- Corn tostadas, chips or saltine crackers
- Mexican style hot sauce
- More lime wedges
- To the molcajete, add the roughly chopped garlic and 1/3 tsp salt. Grind into a paste
- add the chile piquin and grind in to the garlic and salt. Do the same with the oregano.
- Pour in the lime juice. Using a small wooden spoon, stir well to combine.
- Add the uncooked shrimp into the lime juice mix. Stir well to combine. Chill for 20 minutes.
- When ready mix in the remaining ingredients, onion, cucumber, tomatoes, cooked shrimp, maggi seasoning, radishes and cilantro. Stir well to combine. Taste for salt. Mix in a little fresh ground pepper and chill for 20 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Serve with extra crushed chile piquin, lime wedges, hot sauce and tostadas. I was out of avocado on this day, but that would be delicious!