When I get the craving for barbacoa beef tacos, I pick one whole day just to prepare these tacos! Sure I could take some short cuts to prepare barbacoa and be eating tacos in an hour. But, that just won’t be as satisfying. If I am going to enjoy the tacos that I grew up with, I must have good corn tortillas, a homemade spicy salsa and fresh garnishes. Most days I will prepare the beef in my pressure cooker. It’s ready in no time! But there are somedays when I want to venture out of my comfort zone and try try something different. My favorite cut of beef to use for barbacoa is beef cheek. Lucky for me it is available at one of the local markets now. This cooking method was inspired by chef Pati Jinich. I enjoy her videos and her style of cooking.
Barbacoa Adobada(Adobo Beef Barbacoa)
- 2 1/2 cups beef broth or water
- 8-10 6-7 sections of prepared banana leaves
- 1 large sweet onion sliced into rings
- oil grapeseed oil or canola
- salt and pepper
- 2 1/2 pounds beef cheek meat
- 1 1/2 Cup adobo sauce see link below
You Will Also Need
- 1/2 Red onion sliced thin
- 1/2 Cup Cilantro chopped
- 3 Serranos sliced thin
- Lime wedges
- Red Taqueria-Style Salsa see link below
- Red Chile Infused Corn Tortillas see link below
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- To the bottom of the oven proof pot add 2 1/2 cups of beef broth or water. Layer the prepared banana leaves in a criss cross pattern. Make sure they are long enough sections so it will cover the beef. The sections shouls be at least 12X16 inches
- Add the sliced onions next. Drizzle with oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Seasonthe beef lightly with salt and pepper and transfer to the prepared pot.
- Pour the adobo sauce evenly over the top of beef, making sure it's covered on all sides. Add some avocado leaves on top. Fold the banana leaves in so the cover the beef completely.
- Cover pot tightly with heavy aluminum foil paper, then cover with lid. Place in oven and roast for 3 1/2 -4 hours or until barbacoa pulls apart easily with fork. Remove from oven and let rest for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with warm tortillas, salsa and fresh garnishes.
How To Prepare Adobo. Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.
How To Prepare Chile Infused Corn Tortillas. Click onto picture to see complete recipe on site.
Spicy Taqueria-Style Salsa! Click onto picture to see complete recipe on site!