Red Chile Infused Corn Tortillas
- For Chile Puree
- 10 to 12 dried chile Guajillo New Mexico or California, stem and seeds removed
- Water to cover
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder optional
- 1 teaspoon oregano optional
- 1 cup water
- 2 1/3 cups masa harina corn flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup chile puree
- Add the dried chiles to a sauce pan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Using tongs or slotted spoon, transfer chiles to the blender. Add 1 cup of cooking water, and spices listed. Blend on high until smooth, strain sauce through a wire mesh strainer, set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the masa harina and salt. In another bowl, combine the chile puree and warm water. Add the dry ingredients to the wet until the dough forms. If the dough is sticky, add a little more masa harina, if it's too dry, add a little more liquid. Cover with plastic wrap and set aside for 30 minutes.
- Heat a heavy, stove top griddle pan or comal to medium heat. While the pan is heating, roll 15 to 20 masa balls, about the size of a golf ball. Transfer the masa balls to a large plate and keep covered with plastic. Line your tortilla press w/ a quart size freezer back, cut into two separate squares to size of tortilla press.
- Press the masa ball to about 4 1/2 -5 inches, carefully pick up the tortilla and peel the plastic away and lay onto hot griddle. Cook for about 30 to 35 seconds each side. The tortilla should puff out when you turn it. Transfer them to a pan lined with a clean kitchen towel and a lid to cover. Covering them in the pan will create some steam and in turm yield a soft tortilla.
- Before storing tortillas, spread out onto a towel to air dry just for 10 minutes. Store in ziploc style bags in the refrigerator. Reheat on a hot griddle or comal for best results. Yields up to 15 to 20 tortillas.
Tips~ You will yields different shades of red chile tortillas depending on what kind of dried chiles you use.
Tamal Azteca~ Grilled Chicken Enchilada Stack
For Two Servings You Need
6 small homemade red chile corn tortillas
2 1/2 cups enchilada sauce
1 cup grilled chicken, sliced thin
1 cup of your favorite cooked quinoa or rice recipe
1/2 cup of your favorite cheese, crumbled or shredded
1/2 cup your favorite salsa
Onion, sliced thin
Using an oven safe shallow dish, cover the bottom with enchilada sauce. Add a tortilla, sauce, chicken and cheese. Repeat with sauce, tortilla, sauce, chicken and cheese. Finish by topping with another tortilla and remaining sauce. Bake in preheated oven for 20 to 25 minutes, just until warmed through and cheese has melted. Garnish with quinoa or rice, salsa, lettuce , onions and avocado slices.
Tips~ You can find various recipes for grilled chicken and enchilada sauce right on site. Just type title into the search bar on the home page.
[…] RED CHILE https://pinaenlacocina.com/chile-colorado-corn-tortillas-tortillas-rojas/ […]
[…] https://pinaenlacocina.com/chile-colorado-corn-tortillas-tortillas-rojas/ […]