Recipes that come together all in one skillet, like this Adobo Verde Chicken, make dinner time a lot easier. I have so many variations for red adobo and not enough using fresh green herbs and spices. This adobo verde can be used for chicken, pork, seafood and vegetables! My best suggestion is to prepare the adobo a few days ahead for the best flavor!
You Are Worth It!
It would be just as easy to pull out the store bought tortillas for my favorite tacos. But, we are worth spending a little extra time preparing a few homemade tortillas for our meals. Why not?
Think Outside The Taco Seasoning!
For a few months I challenged myself to prepare a different taco recipe every Tuesday. Every taco was so different from week to week. I decided to use chicken on this day. This adobo will last quite a long time in your refrigerator and is freezer friendly. It literally can be used on your favorite cut of meat as well as for vegetables of all kinds. You can open my freezer on any given day and find all kinds of small containers filled with adobos, recados and salsas. It sure does help planning a meal when you are not sure what to cook.
Revisiting Old Recipes!
Little by little, I am revisiting some of my older recipes and giving them a make over! Sometimes I will discover easier ways to prepare the recipe and update the instructions as well. Anything to make meal prep go more smoothly!
Adobo Verde Chicken
- small to med bunch of cilantro washed, remove thick stems at the bottom
- small to medium bunch of flat leaf parsley washed, remove thick stems at the bottom
- 6 large serrano peppers, previously dry roasted
- 8-10 large cloves of garlic, previously roasted
- 1 1/2 tbsps fresh oregano leaves
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried marjoram
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 cup avocado or olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
You Also Need
- 2 pounds boneless chicken thighs or breast sliced
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons avocado or olive oil
- 1/2 white onion sliced thin thin
- 1 serrano or jalapeño sliced thin or minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- After dry roasting the serrano peppers and garlic, peel skins from garlic and transfer to the blender.
- Also to the blender, add the cilantro, parsley, thyme, marjoram, oregano, lime juice, vinegar and oil. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Blend on high until smooth. Taste for salt. Set aside.
- Slice the chicken into bite size pieces. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in 3/4 cup of adobo to chicken. Set aside.
- Preheat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium/high heat for a few minutes. Add the chicken and stir fry for a few minutes or until it begins to brown in spots. Add the onions and chile pepper. Saute for another 2-3 minutes.
- Mix in 3-4 more tablespoons of adobo once chicken is fully cooked and nicely browned. Cook for just another minute. Serve on warm tortillas. Garnish with lime and cilantro. Store remaining adobo in glass jar for a few weeks in the refrigerator.
- For cheesy chicken taco version: Heat corn tortillas on preheated comal or griddle. When tortilla is soft, add some good melting cheese and cook just until cheese begins to melt. Transfer to serving plate and top with chicken. Serve with a side of Mexican Rice.