Dust off that slow cooker(crock pot) for this pork chile verde today! Easy to follow recipe that can be prepared with chicken, beef or vegetarian style.
Not a fan of pork? Go to the end of the post to see the chicken version!
Both chicken and beef can be substituted for the pork in this recipe. I would suggest mixing boneless chicken breast and thighs for more flavor. For the beef I would suggest a beef chuck roast. Tasty!
Mix the green chiles by adding some roasted poblanos to the mix. There can never be too much!
If you own a pressure cooker, this recipe can be ready in an hour, more or less. Follow the instructions, but instead you are adding everything to your pressure cooker. Once it comes up to pressure, set your timer for 40 minutes. Done! The chicken version would be ready after 30 minutes. I use a traditional stove top pressure cooker. I imagine the instant pot to cook at the same time.
For a more moist cut of pork, I would suggest using pork shoulder/butt. The pork loin is very lean and can dry out when cooked for long periods of time. Pork steaks and boneless pork country ribs work well for this recipe as well.
Potatoes in chile verde? Yes!
Potatoes in pork chile verde is delicious! But, fried potatoes in pork chile verde is the bomb! On a plate, in a taco, in a burrito, on nachos and a big spoon!
It’s so easy to prepare the vegetarian version of chile verde. Pick your favorite vegetables like potatoes, carrots, chayote, corn and more! Mix in some of your favorite beans and you have a hearty meal!
Slow Cooker Pork Chile Verde
- 4 pounds pork shoulder or boneless pork steaks sliced into 1 inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons salt plus 1 tsp. separated
- 2 teaspoons black pepper plus 1 tsp. separated
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic plus 1 tsp. separated
- 2 teaspoons cumin plus 1 tsp. separated
- ¼ cup grapeseed or Olive oil
- 4 cups Salsa Verde see link in the notes part
- 3 cups roasted green chiles, chopped 24 oz, canned or 8 Anaheim peppers roasted
- 1 cup white onion diced
- 2 jalapeños minced
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped fine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Mexican oregano
- 1 ½ tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespooons cold water
- In a small bowl combine the 2 tsp. salt, 2 tsp. pepper, 2 tsp. granulated garlic and 2 tsp. cumin. Mix well. Set aside.
- After slicing the pork, season all over with the spice blend you mixed. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a large skillet, add ¼ cup of canola oil and preheat for 3-4 minutes.
- While oil preheats, to the slow cooker, add the salsa verde, green chiles, onion, jalapeños, cilantro and reserved spices. Turn heat to high.
- Once oil is hot, brown and sear the pork, in batches, and transfer to the slow cooker until it’s all the meat is done browning.
- Stir all the ingredients in the slow cooker until well combined. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours.
- After 5 hours, mix the cornstarch with the cold water until it’s smooth. While stirring the chile verde, pour in the cornstarch slurry and the Mexican oregano. Stir well, cover once again and continue cooking on high for 1 more hour.
- Serve with rice, beans and warm tortillas.
Taste Like Chicken!
If you prefer, here are some images of the Chicken Chile Verde prepared in the slow cooker. On this day I used all chicken breast, but would suggest mixing it with some boneless chicken thighs.