Salpicon de Pollo. Most of the time leftover chicken becomes part of a soup recipe or chicken salad. Not just any chicken salad, but salpicon de pollo! The word salpicon, in this instance, refers to the look and texture of the dish. Mexican food can be delicious without being too heavy. Enjoy!
This recipe for salpicon is meant to be served chilled or at room temperature. I prefer room temperature because I can really taste all of the individual ingredients. And it gives the recipe a chance to take on some of that lime and vinegar flavor.
This is not typical of how most people see Mexican food. That is the wonderful thing about authentic Mexican dishes! They can be simple, clean and healthy.
I found that beautiful heavy Mexican bowl at a thrift shop for less than twenty dollars. I love it!
Click the link to see my recipe for Salpicon de Res. The beef version of this tasty salad. https://pinaenlacocina.com/salpicon-de-res-shredded-beef-brisket-salad/
Salpicon de Pollo. Mexican Chicken Salad
- 2 1/2 cups shredded chicken breast previously cooked
- 1 cup red onion thin sliced
- 2 large roma tomatoes diced
- 1 cup nopalitos sliced or diced, optional
- 1 large carrot shredded
- 2 large chipotles in adobo minced
- cilantro to taste
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed or olive oil
- juice of 2 limes
- salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, mix all of the ingredients in the order listed. Taste for salt, vinegar and oil. Cover and let sit for 30 minutes before serving. Serve with chopped lettuce, tostadas, your favorite salsa and lime.
Many people are still unfamiliar with using nopalitos, cactus, in recipes. My best description would be that the texture is much like green beans. They have a slight lemony flavor and they are good for you! I am heading into the kitchen right after this to cook some! Yummy!