For this Mexican version of Salpicon de Res(Shredded Beef Salad), I took advantage of a slow braised beef brisket I had cooked. I love flank steak, which is the more traditional cut of meat to use for this recipe, but why not brisket?
Make Ahead: You could prep the salad to this point, as pictured, then cover tightly until you are ready to mix with lime, vinegar, oil and seasonings.
My sister sent me my Mom’s colander a few years back. You’d think she had given a million dollars! Yes, it means that much to me.
Grilled tostadas are easy to prepare. No oil needed, just a hot grill. Place on hot grill, turn and rotate tortillas as needed. Some areas will burn hotter, so you just have to watch them.
Unless you live in Texas where the beef brisket is often on sale for less then 2 dollars a pound, it can be quite expensive. I find the closer we get to Memorial Day, the price will drop to as low as $2.95 a pound in most Walmart stores. I have limited space, so I cut mine down into smaller sections before storing.
Any cut of beef that shreds well when cooked is ideal for this recipe of Salpicon. It is not traditionally prepared with brisket, but I just happened to have just enough leftover from my previous recipe.
Salpicon de Res…..Shredded Beef Salad
Salpicon de Res~ Shredded Beef Brisket Salad
- 2 cups finely shredded brisket see recipe link above
- 2 roma tomatoes seeded and sliced into strips
- 1/2 small white onion sliced thin
- 1/2 cup nopalitos chopped small
- 4 radishes sliced
- 2 chipotles in adobo minced
- 2 full tablespoons cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1 large avocado sliced
- 3 to 4 cups of torn or chopped lettuce
- Crumbled queso fresco optional
- In a bowl, combine all of the ingredients, minus the avocado, lettuce and queso(if using). Toss well to combine. Adjust the seasonings, lime and vinegar to taste. Cover tightly and let chill for at least one hour.
- When ready to serve, stir well and garnish with sliced avocado and queso. Serve on corn tostadas with a layer of fresh lettuce, then salpicon garnished with avocado.
- Let chilled salad come to room temperature for at least 20 minutes before serving.