Arroz verde translates to green rice. Popular is cilantro rice which most times includes fresh lime juice. This version includes cilantro, jalapeno and lime! If cilantro is not your favorite ingredient, you could use other green herbs or greens, such as kale or baby spinach.
On this night, my arroz or cilantro rice was the perfect side for chicken flautas(flautas de pollo). Click the link to see the recipe that includes the salsa verde. https://pinaenlacocina.com/green-chile-chicken-taquitostaquitos-de-pollo/
Arroz Verde. Cilantro Rice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds and stems removed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 section white onion
- Splash of water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of grapeesed or olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth warmed ahead of time
- In the blender, combine the cilantro, splash of water, 2 jalapenos, 1/4 piece of white onion, 1 clove of garlic, juice of 1 lime and 1/3 tsp. salt. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add rice and cook, stirring often for 5-7 minutes. Rice will become aromatic and golden in some spots.
- Add the 2 cups of warm chicken broth. Stir gently. When rice comes to a boil, taste it for salt. Cover the rice and reduce the heat to low. Cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the liquid evaporates.
- Try not to disturb the rice while it is cooking. Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes. When ready, fluff the rice with fork and mix in the cilantro sauce from the blender. Cover until ready to serve. Serves 6.
If cilantro rice is not your thing and want the more popular Mexican red rice just click the link to see the full recipe. https://pinaenlacocina.com/simple-mexican-style-rice-arroz-estilo-mexicano/