Arroz verde translates to green rice. Popular is cilantro rice which most times includes fresh lime juice. This version includes cilantro, jalapeno and lime! If cilantro is not your favorite ingredient, you could use other green herbs or greens, such as kale or baby spinach.
What’s your favorite side dish?
On this night, my arroz or cilantro rice was the perfect side for chicken taquitos/flautas(flautas de pollo). Simple Mexican Rice is more commonly seen as a side dish to traditional Mexican recipes. Salsa ladled over crispy taquitos is a delicious way to enjoy this must try recipe.
Not A Fan Of Cilantro?
I understand if you are not a fan of fresh cilantro. I love it! Crave it! Need it! Lol! You can switch out the cilantro for some other fresh greens like baby spinach, kale, parsley, bell pepper, poblano or even broccoli. As long as you have a good blender that will yield a smooth sauce.
Arroz Verde. Cilantro Jalapeño Rice
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 2 jalapeno peppers seeds and stems removed
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 section white onion
- Splash of water
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of grapeesed or olive oil
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups chicken broth warmed ahead of time
- In the blender, combine the cilantro, splash of water, 2 jalapenos, 1/4 piece of white onion, 1 clove of garlic, juice of 1 lime and 1/3 tsp. salt. Blend until smooth and set aside.
- In a pan heat 2 tablespoons of oil, add rice and cook, stirring often for 5-7 minutes. Rice will become aromatic and golden in some spots.
- Add the 2 cups of warm chicken broth. Stir gently. When rice comes to a boil, taste it for salt. Cover the rice and reduce the heat to low. Cook on low for 15 to 20 minutes or until all the liquid evaporates.
- Try not to disturb the rice while it is cooking. Remove from heat and let it stand for 10 minutes. When ready, fluff the rice with fork and mix in the cilantro sauce from the blender. Cover until ready to serve. Serves 6.
If rice is not your thing and want the more popular Mexican red rice try some of my favorite sopita recipes! Sopa is most commonly prepared with vermicelli-style pasta, fideo. Sopita!! mmmm!