What can I say about this dish, camarones en crema de chipotle ? I love it! We have been enjoying quick shrimp recipes lately and no one here is complaining. When it’s the end of the week and you are tired, a quick dinner is what I am in search for. The great thing about this recipe, it’s versatile. You can swap out the shrimp for scallops, or thinly sliced chicken breast. And I can’t wait to try it with baby bella mushrooms. I mention now and then, but I don’t preach about it, how I try to search for a healthier choice when I can. I will always look for a lighter way to prepare certain dishes, such as the ones that call for heavy cream. Don’t get me wrong, I love it, but I am just as satisfied with a tasty, lighter version , why not? The light crema recipe listed below is delicious and if nobody told me, I would have assumed it was prepared with full fat cream or crema. There are a few variations on how to prepare camarones en crema chipotle. Some are more tomato based sauces, but the chipotle crema version is quite popular through out Mexico as well. Served over rice or as a taco filling, but mostly as ataco filling, I can’t get enough of it! #foodieforlife #mexicanfood #tacoseveryday
Do you ever wonder how much of our grocery bill is spent on garnishes for tacos? Lol! Would not be real tacos with out them though.
This shrimp recipe would make for a delicious gordita or arepa filling.
I have really been enjoying my black cookware set made of clay. It was a prize I won from a soup contest this past winter. My caldo de res recipe won first place. Voted best on facebook on the Rumba Meats page.
Camarones al Crema de Chipotle
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp 12-15 count
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- 1/2 poblano pepper diced
- 1/2 yellow or red bell pepper diced
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 large roma tomato diced
- 2 chipotles in adobo minced
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotles
- 1/2 cup light crema
For Light Crema
- 1/2 cup light sour cream
- 1/4 cup 1% milk
- 1 full tablespoon all purpose flour
- pinch of salt
- red onion diced
- queso fresco crumbled
- After you peel and clean the shrimp, season lightly with salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to a medium skillet and heat to medium. After a minute, add the poblano, bell pepper and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper and saute for 5 minutes. Add the roma tomato and minced chipotles and cook for another 3 minutes.
- In a bowl, whisk the ingredients for the light crema recipe until smooth. Add the crema and adobo to the shrimp. Reduce heat and stir well to combine.
- Again, season lightly with salt and pepper. Fold in the cleaned shrimp and cook for 3-5 minutes on low heat. Remove from heat and let sit for a few minutes. Serve with warm tortillas and fresh garnishes.
1/2 cup light sour cream
1/4 cup 1% milk
1 full tablespoon all purpose flour
pinch of salt Whisk until smooth. Add to recipe as instructed. Easy Homemade Crema 2 cups sour cream 2 cups heavy cream 1/2 tsp salt Whisk until smooth. Cover and let sit at room temperature for 3 hours. Store refrigerated for 4-5 days.