Grilled Jalapeño Garlic Chicken Rice Bowl. Rice bowl, burrito bowl, taco bowl! I love eating food when it’s layered in a big bowl. Especially when the layer starts with a great rice. On this particualr rainy day, I could not wait to grill outdoors. In a pinch, my stove top grill pan works well when I really need to have a grilled steak or piece of chicken. Is it me, or are the boneless chicken breast huge these days?? I can literally take one chicken breast, butterfly it and my husband and I will each get 2 meals out of it. And with all the layers in this rice bowl, you will not need much chicken to be satisfied.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1 large jalapeño sliced
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt to taste
For Brown “Yellow” Rice & Black Beans
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/3 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup parboiled brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Juice of 1/2 lemon or lime
- 15 ounce can of black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped fine
For Grilled Veggies
- 1/2 pound blanched green beans
- 1/2 pound asparagus
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small zucchini
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 small sweet onion
- Lemon pepper seasoning
- Olive oil
Garnish and Serve with
- Lemon or lime wedges
- Warm tortillas or chips
- Butterfly the chicken breast and pound out lightly to even it out, set aside. In the blender, combine all of the ingredients to make the marinade. Blend until smooth, taste for salt. Pour over chicken and turn over to coat evenly. Cover and set aside on counter for 1 hour.
- For the rice, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add all of the dry spices, rice and olive oil. Taste for salt, cover, reduce heat and cook for 24 to 28 minutes or until liquid is absorbed. Remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork, add lemon or lime juice, black beans and cilantro. The rice recipe will make 6 servings. But you will wish you had made more if you run out..lol!
- Slice and prep the vegetables. I like to slice them into strips because it’s easier to fit them on the grill pan. I like to slice the onion into thick rounds. Drizzle them with olive oil and season them lightly with lemon pepper. Preheat stove top grill pan to medium heat for 3 to 5 minutes. Drizzle with a little more olive oil. grill your vegetables in batches and spread out onto lined baking sheet. If you stack them, they will continue to steam and wilt. Rewarm for a few seconds when ready to serve.
- Wipe the grill pan off with paper towels and return to medium heat. Drizzle with a little more olive oil. Shake off excess marinade from chicken and grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to plate and let rest for a few minutes. Slice thin against the grain. To plate, add rice to a shallow bowl, grilled vegetables, chicken, guacamole and crema. Yields 4 servings.
Tips~Before adding grilled vegetables, you could slice into smaller bite size pieces for easier plating. I like to blanch my green beans and asparagus before grilling when I have time. It makes for a quicker cooking time.
And Not just tasty in a Rice Bowl, but Tacos of course!!