Beef with calabacitas(squash), pork with calabacitas or calabacitas with queso panela! I enjoy all of them! Just a few months ago the Mexican-style squash or calabacitas became available at the local market. Typically I would susbstitute with zucchini when the other is not available. The Mexican squash pairs well with any meat dishes, seafood and meatless options. It cooks quickly. It cab be cooked in a variety of ways.
For today’s recipe I had some uncooked ground beef leftover from a previous recipe. I combined it with a couple small chuck steaks that I had. So is this a picadillo or a carne guisada? Good question!
Simple Mexican-Style Rice! Find the recipe by clicking onto the link! https://pinaenlacocina.com/simple-mexican-style-rice-arroz-estilo-mexicano/
Beef with Calabacitas (Squash)
- 3 tablespoons of grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds of thinly sliced chuck steak or ground beef
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small white onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 3 serrano peppers
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 3 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 2 cups water
- 2 teaspoons beef bouillon
- 2 full cups calabacitas or zucchini diced
- handful of cilantro
- In a skillet, preheat 3 tablespoons oil oil for a few minutes at medium heat.
- Once the oil is hot, add the beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir as needed and brown for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic, 1 minced serrano and diced bell pepper. Season lightly with salt and pepper and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes.
- In the blender,. add the tomatoes, 1 reserved serrano, oregano, 2 teaspoons beef bouillon, 1/2 cup of water, 1/3 tsp pepper and salt to taste. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into skillet with beef.
- Stir beef with blended tomato sauce well. In the jar of the blender, add 1 1/2 cups of water. Pour into skillet. Bring up to a simmer and taste for salt. Stir and continue cooking for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, add the zucchini, cilantro and 1 remaining serrano. Reduce to a simmer, cover and continue cooking for 15-20 minutes.
- Ladle into shallow bowls and serve with rice, beans and warm corn tortillas on the side.
This dish can be prepared with ground meat or thin sliced steak, chuck or even top round steaks.