This recipe for frijoles a la charra or frijoles borrachos, as many people call them, were a staple in our house. Any special occasion, cook out, family visit and these beans were automatically part of the menu. Mom’s version was simple. No hot dogs, no chorizo, but still so delicious and one of our all time favorites.
Beans were a staple in our house!
Beans, eggs and tortillas are three main staple ingredients that we were never without. Some other staples included rice, fideo pasta, produce and various protein(meat).
Every family has their own version and that’s what makes it special to each of us. I do enjoy the fully loaded frijoles charros as well. It is a meal in itself! Just slap on a, hot of the grill, piece of carne asada on top and it’s ready! Don’t forget the spicy salsa and warm tortillas. #foodieforlife #mexicanfood #frijoles
Frijoles a La Charra-Frijoles Charros-Charro Beans
- 6-8 strips of smoked bacon chopped small
- 4-5 cups cooked pinto beans
- 2 cups broth from beans
- 1 small white onion diced
- 2 serrano chile sliced into thick rings or minced
- 1 large roma tomato diced
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- 6 oz of a light beer or chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat pot or deep skillet to medium heat. Add the bacon and cook until browned. Add the onions and chile serrano. Saute for a few minutes. Add the tomato and cilantro, stir well to combine. Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Add the beans, liquid from the beans and the beer(or broth). Bring to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper to taste, stir, cover and cook for a good 20 minutes. Taste for salt.
Tips~ If you wanted to prepare these without beer, I like to replace the beer with low sodium chicken or beef broth. Garnish with lime wedges, cilantro, crema (Mexican cream) and warm tortillas or tostadas. My family would always prepare these beans with carne asada or any grilled meats
Also known as “Drunken Beans”, frijoles borrachos!
I like preparing this recipe with black beans and red beans as well. So tasty!
Frijoles Charros Con Salchichas(Mexican-Style Beans)
More Delicious Beans! Click Onto The Link!