Now is especially one of the best times to prepare esquites. The corn is fresh, crisp and flavorful. Esquites are warm corn cups garnished with crema, crushed chiles, chile limon, cotija cheese and lime. This dish is one of Mexico’s most popular antojitos(snacks) and street foods.
This super easy and delicious recipe is adapted from chef Yuri de Gortari. He has a popular You Tube channel loaded with the most traditional and authentic Mexican dishes. And it’s not just a recipe that he shares, but also the history or the story behind the recipe. He interprets the recipes in Spanish, which adds all the more charm to each dish.
- 1 stick of butter unsalted (1/2 cup)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion sliced into strips
- 1 large poblano sliced into thin strips
- 5 ears of corn remove corn from the cob
- salt and pepper to taste
- Dried chile piquin or chile de arbol crushed
- 21/2 cups water
- small handful of fresh epazote or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- Lime wedges
- mexican crema
- cotija cheese
- tajin chile limon seasoning
- chile piquin crushed
- In a large pot(cazuela), add the butter and olive oil. Heat to medium.
- Once butter melts, add the garlic and onion. Season lightly with salt and pepper and saute for 3-4 minutes. Add the poblanos and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the corn. Add another pinch of salt and pepper and chile piquin(chile de arbol). Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the water and bring to a simmer. Taste for salt and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the epazote and cook for another few minutes.
- Ladle warm esquites into cups. Garnish with mayonnaise(crema), cotija, chile piquin, tajin and lime.
[…] home.The purple corn tortilla chips were tasty!Esquites! Warm Corn Cups! Click Link To See Recipe! https://pinaenlacocina.com/esquites-warm-corn-cups/Hot off the grill and smothered with a mix of mayo, crema, cotija cheese, lime and chile limon […]