You know when you get that craving for a certain dish and you can’t stop thinking about it? I was so hungry for fish tacos the other night, but I wanted crispy fish. Baked or broiled is usually the way I prepare them, but I had just watched an episode of “Diners, Drive Ins and Dives” on Food Network and watched as they ate the most tasty-looking fish tacos. I was a girl on a mission! This gave me the chance to practice my corn tortilla making again. My real twist on this recipe is that I used a Mexican brand of very fizzy mineral water instead of beer in the batter. It worked so well! Very crispy once fried. I will use it again, and again! #foodieforlife #tacoseveryday #nationaltacoday
Crispy Fish Tacos
For the Sriracha Mayonnaise:
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
- 4 tablespoons of sriracha hot sauce
- 1/3 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt and white pepper to taste
For the Fish:
- 12 ounces whit fish, catfish, mahi-mahi or cod sliced into 2 inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour plus more to dust fish
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large egg
- 10-12 ounces cold seltzer water or lager beer
- 2 cups oil for frying
You Will Also Need:
- 8 corn tortillas
- 4 cups cabbage shredded
- 1 red fresno pepper minced
- 4 tbsp cilantro chopped
- 3 green onions sliced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 3 tbsp oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Radishes sliced
- lime wedges
- Hot Sauce
- In a medium glass bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the cabbage slaw. Stir well to combine, taste for salt, cover and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine all of the ingredients for the sriracha mayonnaise. Stir until smooth, taste for salt, cover and set aside.
- Cut the fillets in half, lengthwise, then cut in half crosswise so you have 4 pieces each fillet. Pat dry with paper towels. Transfer to a plate, season on one side with lemon pepper seasoning and keep chilled until ready to use.
- In a small heavy pot, preheat 2 cups of oil to 365ºF to 370ºF. In a large bowl, add the flour and cornstarch. Add the remaining dry spices and stir well. Mix in the egg well. Gradually and gently whisk in the mineral water or beer until most of the lumps are gone. Keep batter chilled until ready to use.
- Lightly dredge the fish pieces through some flour. Shake off excess flour. Add a few pieces of fish to the batter, making sure they are coated evenly. Shake off excess batter from fish and add 1 piece of fish at a time to hot oil Fry 3 to 4 pieces at a time, making sure you don’t overcrowd the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning as needed. Transfer the fish to a baking sheet lined with a wire rack and keep warm in a low temperature oven.
- To plate, spread some sriracha mayo onto warmed tortilla, top with 2 pieces of fish per taco, garnish with slaw, radishes, avocado and lime wedges
Switch out the sriracha for chipotle hot sauce….
Much easier to eat and fry when it’s in smaller pieces…
A little chile limon powder for garnish at the end….
Pictured above is the Topo Chico in the backround…
Fries up extra crispy! Keep warm in the oven so it stays crispy.