Nopalitos con Chorizo en Salsa de Chipotle is one of those recipes that can be served in a variety of ways. For breakfast, lunch or dinner, it is fairly inexpensive to prepare and can be prepared quickly. When fresh nopales are not available, the next best thing for me, is Doña Maria brand nopalitos in a jar. They are readily available in many stores and are much easier to find than a good store bought corn tortilla, lol! I am not sure how they decide what each store will carry when it come to latin or hispanic foods, but where I live most people have never tried nopales. Most often nopal recipes are prepared during the time of lent when meatless meals are a way of life. In a simple salsa, with potatoes or with queso panela, they are a delicious meal to prepare anytime. Once drained and rinsed you can add them to your favorite salad, salsa recipe, soups, stews, chili or for scrambled eggs for breakfast tacos. They are mild in flavor, tender and a good source of fiber.
Nopalitos Con Chorizo en Salsa de Chipotle(Cactus and Mexican Chorizo)
- 1 dried chipotle or 2 chipotles in adobo
- 2 to 3 chile de arbol
- 1 jalapeño sliced
- 1 to 2 cloves garlic
- 3 roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 cup uncooked mexican chorizo
- 1 cup thinly sliced white onion
- 1 jar of Doña Maria nopales 30 oz., drained and rinsed
- Salt and fresh cracked pepper to taste
- To a small skillet, add the chipotle(only if using the dried chipotle), chile de arbol, jalapeño, garlic and tomatoes. Add in 1/4 cup of olive oil and heat to medium heat. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning often so that the dried chiles and garlic does not burn.
- To that same pan, add 1/2 cup of water and cook for another 5 minutes to soften the dried peppers a little more. Transfer to blender, add the bouillon and blend on high until smooth, set aside.
- Add the chorizo to a large skillet and heat to medium. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes, breaking into smaller pieces with a wooden spoon.
- 4. Add the onions and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add the nopalitos and salsa fom blender. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes. Taste for salt and add a little fresh cracked pepper. Serve as is with rice, beans and warm tortillas. Or top with egg and salsa as pictured. Yields 6 servings.