What exactly do you mean by no knead bread? Exactly as it states, no kneading required for this simple recipe!
Why not just buy bread at the market?
Why not bake it fresh at home? I try my best to limit the amount of bread I eat most days. So when I do decide to enjoy some bread, it’s much more satisfying knowing that the bread is fresh out of my own oven. I didn’t have to purchase any special ingredients really because I always try to keep a jar of yeast in my refrigerator. I really enjoy baking all kinds of bread.
What would make it even better?
In my opinion, what would make this no knead bread recipe better is having a sour dough starter. I attempted that a few times and forgot to feed it daily! Lol! Frustration set in and I said forget it! Doesn’t mean I won’t attempt it again though.
Think outside of the box!
I enjoy food trends, but I also enjoy doing my own thing when it comes to popular recipes. I love sharp cheddar cheese, but decided to ditch that choice and use some different Mexican cheese varieties. Oaxaca cheese is creamy and melts beautifully. Queso fresco is crumbly and salty! It was delicious in the first jalapeño loaf that I baked. I wasn’t able to get many photos that day unfortunately.
Slice it, tear it, enjoy it!
This is a delicious bread torn into pieces for soups, stews and chili! Delicious sliced and toasted for sandwiches. Cut it into cubes and toast it in a little olive oil with garlic for delicious croutons in you soup or salad!
Let’s Get To It! Recipe Below!
No Knead Bread With Mexican Twist!
- Oven safe pot with lid
- pastry cutter
- parchment paper
- 3 c flour plus more for dusting and shaping loaf
- 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 c warm water
- 2 large fresh jalapeños sliced
- 1 large dried chile ancho stem and seeds removed, torn into pieces
- 6-8 oz Oaxaca cheese, crumbled queso fresco(farmers cheese) or shredded monterey(or cheddar)
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, yeast and salt. Pour in the water. It will be sticky! Mix until combined.
- If you are adding in extra ingredients like fresh jalapeños or chile ancho and cheese, mix everything in now. Using a silicone spatula, mix well to combine. Cover the bowl and let it sit at room temperature for 3-5 hours.
- When ready, preheat a heavy(oven safe) dutch oven pot or deep cast iron skillet to 450 degrees F.
- Transfer sticky dough onto a flat surface with a generous amount of flour. It will be sticky!!
- Using a flat edge pastry cutter, work some of the flour into the dough to shape into a round loaf.
- Transfer dough to a large section of parchment paper and place in a pot or bowl with paper while temperature of oven reaches 450 degrees F.
- Garnish the top of bread with extra chiles, if desired. When ready, transfer dough, with paper, to hot dutch oven pot that was in the oven. Cover pot, return to oven and bake for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove cover and continue baking for15- 20 minutes or until loaf is crusty and golden brown.
- Remove from oven and remove bread from hot pot. Transfer loaf to cooling rack, removing the paper. Once cooled slightly, transfer to cutting board and enjoy!!
Like the idea of minimal no knead, but instead of AP flour can I use “Bread Flour”??
Of course! If I had bread flour that day, I would prefer that.