For a few years now, I have been fortunate enough to be on the Cabot Cheese Board. A couple of times a year, I receive these boxes, generously filled with delicious Cabot Cheese. And not just the cheese, there is typically a theme to each box depending on what the season is. This particular tasty box arrived towards the end of winter filled with all of my favorites. New York Vintage, Alpine Cheddar and Farmhouse Reserves, just to name a few. Most days, I will incorporate the cheese into dishes that I share with friends at the community lunch every Friday. On this particular day, I found myself with a large amount of leftover mashed potatoes. First thing that came to mind was soup! Those leftover mashed potatoes became this delicious soup with fresh and canned green chiles, smoky Spanish chorizo, homemade croutons and the best white cheddar around! As soon as I tasted it, I knew I wanted to share the recipe with you all. #ILoveCheese
- 2 tablespoons butter unsalted
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1/2 cup sweet onion diced
- 2 jalapeños seeded and diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potatoes peeled and diced
- 4 cups whole milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups mashed potatoes(see link below) previously prepared
- 2 7oz can diced green chiles(mild)
- 8 ounces of your favorite shredded white cheddar variety from Cabot Cheese!
- More Cheese
- Sliced Jalapeños
- Finely Chopped Spanish Chorizo or Crumbled Bacon
- In a large pot, add the butter and oil. Heat to medium. Once butter melts, add the onion, jalapeño, garlic and poatotoes. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the milk and chicken broth. Stir well to combine. Cook and a slight simmer just until potatoes are fork tender.
- Stir in the mashed potatoes and diced green chiles. Continue cooking for another 7-9 minutes. Taste for salt and pepper.
- To serve, add 1/3 cup of Cabot shredded cheddar cheese to the bottom of the bowl. Ladle in the hot soup on top. Garnish with croutons,more cheese, jalapeño slices and Spanish chorizo. Yields 6-8 servings.
You can follow this recipe for mashed potatoes, minus the cheese, to use for this potato soup recipe. https://pinaenlacocina.com/potatoes-on-the-side-potato-recipes/
Tried this recipe?Mention @pinaenlacocina or tag #pinaenlacocina!
Homemade croutons can be prepared with any day old bread. I particularly like French or Italian bread. Slice into pieces. Drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Place on baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
Some of my most favorite!
Would Love to Hear From You