Tortitas de calabacin con jalapeño y queso! Zucchini fritters with jalapeño and cheese! Yes! On this Ash Wednesday, many of us will be searching and preparing meatless meals. I am kicking off with this tasty recipe for zucchini jalapeño fritters. What is your favorite meatless meal? Mine is a simple corn tortilla quesadilla with lots of salsa verde!
Who Said Meatless Was Boring? Not Me!
For quite a few years now, I realized that I favored meatless Mexican meals more often. Why not? They can be so delicious and satisfying. I prepared a version of this zucchini years ago and posted on another site. That version had corn and a lot less spice. Kicking it up, as they say, with plenty of jalapeños and jalapeño cheese!
Just Like Savory Pancakes!
That’s what they remind me of, a savory pancake but with lots of cheese! Next time I may try mixing in a little baking soda/baking powder to see if they rise a little more. Serving them in a warm salsa roja or verde is delicious meatless option for lent. Serve over lentils or garnish with some grilled shrimp. So many ideas popping into my head right now.
I Have Good Intentions When I Grocery Shop!
I am sure I am not the only one who plans meals in their head while they are shopping for food ingredients, right? Four days later, you see that big package of zucchini still sitting in the refrigerator, oh! Zucchini bread, soup or fritters? Fritters it was. It’s good to revisit old recipes and give them a much needed makeover. New photos, that is.
Salsa De Micro! Microwave Salsa Verde!
That’s right! Why didn’t I think of this, lol! While visiting my tia Minerva in Monterrey many years ago, she asked me to prepare a quick tomato salsa. I went to add water to a small pot and she said, “No mija! Rapido, en el micro!” Fast in the microwave is what she stated. I was like, what? She explained to me how she prepared her salsa quickly in the microwave! I tried it several times and it works! Recipe below is for my version of salsa verde in el micro.
Zucchini Jalapeño Fritters-Tortitas De Calabacin
- large nonstick skillet
- 5 zucchini (almost 2 lbs) washed, shredded
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 8 oz Jalapeño cheddar or pepper jack cheese grated
- 1 cup jalapeño finely diced or minced
- 1/2 cup green onion finely sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet bell pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic minced or grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 c avocado or olive oil
- 8 tomatillos husk removed and washed
- 2 jalapeños chopped
- 1/2 small white onion
- 1 large clove of garlic
- Handful chopped cilantro about 1/3 cup
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- salt to taste
- Coarsely shred zucchini. Transfer zucchini to a large kitchen towel. Gather towel and squeeze out as much liquid as possible over sink. The less water the zucchini has, the better.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs. Stir in the zucchini, onions, garlic, all peppers, and spices. Stir in flour until well incorporated. Chill batter for 1 hour. Mix in the cheese when you are ready to cook fritters. You could test a small fritter to taste for salt.
- In a large skillet, preheat 2 tbsps the oil to medium heat. Once oil is hot, drop by 1/4 cup full into hot skillet, and slightly flatten. Cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown. Add more oil as needed. If they are browning too fast, reduce heat on skillet. Drain onto paper towels. Keep warm in a 250 degrees F. oven. Serve with tomatillo salsa, crema, cotija cheese and cilantro.
- For Salsa: Combine the roughly chopped tomatillos, jalapeno and onion in a glass, microwave safe bowl. Pour in 1/4 cup of water. Cover with paper towels and microwave for 8-9 minutes. Remove from microwave, transfer to blender, add the cilantro, lime juice and salt to taste. Blend until smooth.
You had me at jalapeño! This sounds like a very low carb dish! I can’t wait to try it! Thank you for sharing!
Hi Ana! Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate the feedback!