Ensalada de Pollo-Mexican Chicken salad
Mexican-style chicken salad. This was a staple in our house my whole life growing up. brings back the best memories of mom.
Servings 6 Servings
- 2 carrots peeled and diced
- 1 russet potato peeled and diced (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1 stalk celery finely diced
- 4 cups cooked chicken shredded ( I had leftover grilled chicken breast)
- 1 cup mayonnaise more or less (I used light)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of the brine from pickled jalpeños
- salt and pepper to taste
You will also need
- 1 head or iceberg lettuce washed
- Whole or sliced pickled jalapeños
- Saltine crackers
Add the carrots and potatoes to a pot. Cover with water, add 1/4 teaspoon of salt and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 8-10 minutes or just until fork tender. Drain and set aside.
Once the carrots and potatoes are cool, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl in the order listed. Taste for salt.
To serve, add a bed of washed lettuce to a shallow bowl. Spoon in some ensalada de pollo. Serve with pickled jalapeños and saltine crackers.