Al Pastor al Horno(Roasted Pork)
This pork al pastor recipe is perfect when you need tacos for a crowd! It's delicious and freezer friendly!
Servings 12 Servings
- 5 pounds pork butt boneless, sliced into 10-12 large chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each of the following spices; salt pepper, ancho powder, cumin, Mexican oregano(crushed) and garlic powder
- Grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 cups achiote/chile sauce recado See link below
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 6 fresh pineapple rings plus more for garnish
After slicing the pork, season the pork on all sides with spice mix. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, preheat 1/4 cup of grapeseed or olive oil to medium/high heat. Sear the meat and transfer to a large baking dish. Cover with recado until evenly coated. Add a layer of sliced onions and then pineapple on top.
Cover tightly with foil and roast for 3 hours at 350 degrees.
Uncover and move the pork to the top. Remove excess grease on top.
Braise uncovered for another hour. Remove the meat. Chop the pineapple and onions and mix with sauce it braised in. Roughly chop the meat and fold meat back in.
You can sear the meat before serving in tacos. Serve with grilled pineapple, salsa verde, onion, cilantro and lime.