Calabacitas con Queso y Elote( Zucchini with Cheese and Corn)
Another easy and traditional Mexican dish that is a crowd pleaser. Great for a starter, light meal or a meatless meal.
Servings 4 Servings
- Olive oil
- 1 cup white onion sliced into strips
- 1 large poblano pepper sliced into strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 large tomatoes 1 quartered, 1 diced
- 1-2 serrano peppers sliced
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Knorr chicken bouillon powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups zucchini diced
- 1 full cup corn fresh off the cob(or frozen)
- 2 cups queso panela, asadero or muenster cheese cubed
In a large skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of olive oil to medium heat. Add the onions, poblano and garlic. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 6 to 8 minutes. Add diced tomato and cook for another few minutes.
While the vegetables cook, to the blender add, quartered tomato, sliced serrano, bouillon and 1/2 cup of water. Blend on high until smooth. Add to pan, along with oregano and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 5 minutes.
Taste broth for salt and pepper. Add zucchini and corn to the pan. Stir well to combine and cook for 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1/2 of the cheese and push down into broth. Add remaining cheese, cover pan with lid and cook just until cheese has melted a bit. Serve right away. Yields 4 servings.