Tacos de Lengua-Beef Tongue Tacos
- 4 pound Rumba Meats beef tongue
- 1 small white onion sliced in half
- 4 cloves garlic smashed
- 1 chile jalapeño sliced in half
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Trim of any excess fat from the beef tongue anf place in a 5 quart pressure cooker. Add onion, garlic, jalapeño, bay leaves, peppercorns, salt and just enough water to come 1/2 inch below the fill line. Secure and lock the lid and heat to high. When the safety valve locks and the cooker begins to hiss and let out steam, turn heat down to medium/low. Set timer for 1 hour, 30 minutes.
- When timer is up, carefully move the pressure cooker off of the burner to cooler side. When safety valve releases and unlocks, remove the lid. Remove beef tongue and transfer to cutting board, let cool slightly. Remove outer skin and excess fat from beef tongue. Slice or chop the beef to the size you like. Serve with warm corn tortillas, salsa, cilantro, diced onion, lime and avocado slices. You can serve it as it for tacos or you can prepare a guisado de lengua. Recipe below.
Prep Time- 15 minutes
Cook Time- 35-40 minutes
Yields 8 Servings
1/2 white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
3 serrano peppers, 1 minced and 2 sliced
1 1/2 to 1 3/4 pounds cooked beef tongue meat
5 roma tomatoes, chopped
1 teaspoon knorr chicken bouillon powder(caldo de pollo)
1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Juice of 1/2 lime
1. To prepare the Guisado de Lengua: In a large skillet, at medium heat, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the onions, garlic, sliced serrano peppers and red fresno. Season lightly with salt and pepper, saute for 5 minutes. Add the lengua(beef) and continue cooking for 5 to 6 minutes to caramelize the beef a little.
2. In the blender, add the chopped tomatoes, 1 cup water, remaining serrano pepper, chicken bouillon, oregano, cumin and garlic powder. Blend on high until smooth. Pour into skillet with beef. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and continue cooking until liquid reduces and sauce becomes darker. Taste for salt and pepper. Before serving, fold in the cilantro and stir in the lime juice.
Prep Time- 20 minutes
6-7 roma tomatoes, diced
1 cup red or white onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
4 serrano(or jalapeño) pepper, minced
1/3 cup cilantro, chopped fine
Zest and juice of 1 large lime
Salt and pepper to taste
*Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Taste for lime, salt and pepper. Cover and chill until ready to serve.