Steak ranchero or bistec ranchero is one of those dishes that was prepared often in our house. It was easy and economical for larger families like my parents had. It can be prepared with various cuts of beef. As long as it is sliced fairly thin, it will work for this recipe.
Steak Ranchero and Potato Tacos!
- 1 pound chuck roast sliced thin
- 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 serrano chile sliced thin
- 2 Roma tomatoes diced
- 1 large red potato diced
- 3/4 tsp Garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp Pepper
- 3/4 tsp Salt
- 1/3 tsp cumin
- 1/2 cup water
- Mexican crema see link below
- Your favorite salsa red or green
- Freeze the chuck roast for 2 hours. This will make it easier to slice super thin.
- Peel and dice the potato. In a large skillet, add 3 tablespoons of grapeseed oil and heat to medium/high heat. Cook the potatoes, turning as needed. Season lightly with salt and pepper. When nice and crispy, transfer potatoes to a plate lined with paper towels, set aside.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium/high heat. Add the beef and season with salt, pepper, garlic powder and cumin. Stir fry until beef is nice and browned, about 7-9 minutes
- Add in the onions and garlic and cook for 3 minutes. Mix in the tomatoes and water, stir well to combine. When it comes to a boil, taste for salt and reduce the heat. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Fold in the potatoes, cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve with warm homemade(if possible) flour tortillas. Garnish with cilantro, crema and salsa.
Many times, my Mom would prepare fried potato wedges and serve them on the side with a simple salad of iceberg, tomatoes, onions and avocado. My twist on the recipe was to dice and fry the potatoes and add them to the meat towards the end. This is much like how Mom prepared her picadillo for chiles rellenos. I just love the flavor of the fried potato in the sauce. One of the tastiest tacos, in my opinion. Simple and delicious. I pulled this older recipe from my files, so there are not many prep pictures, but you get the idea. The simplest of recipes are the one’s I remember the most. So satisfying.
Homemade Flour Tortillas. Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.
Homemade Mexican-Style Crema. Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.