Sopa seca de fideo was, and still is, one of my favorite traditional Mexican dishes. This super easy Mexican-style pasta dish is my go to recipe any night of the week. Kids love it, adults adore it and ask for seconds. I am 99.9 % sure that sopa seca was my first taste of solid foods as a baby, lol! Both my Mom and Dad would prepare this dish for us. So as you can imagine everytime I prepare it, I am filled with nostalgia with all the aromas of the toasted(fried) fideo as I am cooking it.
Sopa Seca de Fideo(Mexican-Style Pasta)
- 6 oz. fideo pasta
- 1/4 of a white onion sliced thick
- 2 cloves of garlic smashed
- 1 cup tomato sauce or 3 small roma tomatoes, blended until smooth
- 1 chipotle in adobo
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from chipotle
- 3 cups of warm chicken broth
- 1/3 tsp. cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- small handful of cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Mexican crema
- Cotija cheese crumbled or grated
- Cilantro chopped
- To a skillet, add 3 tablespoons of oil and heat to medium heat. Add in the fideo pasta and spread out evenly.
- After a few minutes the pasta will begin to toast and become aromatic. Stir frequently so it doesn't burn for the next few minutes.
- Add the onions and garlic and saute for 3 minutes.
- Blend the tomato sauce with chipotle and adobo sauce. Add to the skillet and stir in gently. Ladle in3 cups of warm chicken broth and stir gently to combine. Stir in cumin, salt and pepper to taste. Add cilantro on top.
- Cook uncovered, stirring gently, now and then until most of the broth has evaporated. Cover and remove from heat. Let sit for 10 minutes before serving. Remove the large pieces of onion and garlic, if you wish. Garnish with lime, crema, queso and cilantro.