Strike while the iron is hot! Or in this case, Buy while the beef brisket is on sale! And I actually had room in my freezer to store it! When there are only two of you, purchasing a large brisket can be a challenge. For me, it’s the lack of space to store extra cuts of meat in my freezer. I saw my opportunity and I was not passing it up this time.
There’s A Video?
Because I am a one woman show, it takes me a while to catch up an update old post! I recently (July 2021) prepared this recipe , but with a smaller brisket. I decided to record and produce this little video above. The steps are slightly different from the written recipe below, but the ingredients are pretty much the same.
After slicing the 14 pound brisket into three smaller sections and trimming away some of the fat, I was ready for some brisket tacos. I prepared a basic chile based dry rub to season it with. I knew we would not be smoking the brisket until Memorial Day, but I was so hungry for brisket tacos, that I decided to slow braise one section.
This one section of brisket was about 4 1/2 pounds before roasting it and it literally took us through five different meals and 14 days, Lol!!! Of course we had some other foods in between. Yes, cooking for two can be a challenge at times, but then again, cooking for two can be a tasty learning experience. #foodieforlife #cookingfortwo
Slow Braised Brisket
- 4 1/2- 5 pound brisket excess fat trimmed
- 1 tablespoon chile ancho powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon spicy chile powder of your choice
- You also need:
- 1 tbsp beef bouillon powder low sodium if possible
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup dry red wine merlot or cabernet
- 1/3 cup Maggi sauce(seasoning)
- Juice of 4 limes
- 3 chile serrano sliced
- 1 medium white onion sliced
- 6 cloves garlic smashed
- Combine the dry spices and rub into brisket. Place brisket, fat side up into roasting pan. I did not wrap and marinate it overnight, but you can do that. Just make sure you bring it to room temperature before you roast it.
- Combine all the liquids and pour into the bottom of roasting pan. Add the serrano, onion and garlic into the liquid.
- Cover brisket tightly with foil paper and roast in a preheated 300 degree oven for 5 hours. After the 5th hour, remove foil and baste the brisket every 15-20 minutes. This brisket was ready in about 6 1/2 hours. If it pulls apart easily, it's done! Yields 8 -10 servings.
The whole brisket was 14 pounds. I sliced it into thirds and seasoned it all with the same dry rub I prepared. The two wrapped pieces will go on the smoker very soon!! I did not use the soy sauce or liquid smoke. If you cannot find the Maggi sauce, then use the soy sauce to replace it.
Tacos all day and night! Just switch out the salsa recipe for a different flavor! Or if you prefer crispy tacos, fry up some corn tortilla shells!
The easiest salsa for this deliciousrecipe is a salsa cruda de tomatillo or raw tomatillo salsa. Salsa Cruda
Brisket Tacos on a fresh homemade flour tortilla, pico de gallo and sliced avocado. One of my all time favorite tacos!!
Type “Pico de Gallo” into the search bar find the full recipe on site
My perfect Sunday brunch meal. Brisket tacos, Topo Chico and pickled Chile Piquin!
p.s. The fifth meal that I prepared with the brisket was Beef and Noodles in Gravy. The same gravy I prepared for the sliders, combined with the beef, mixed with some cooked egg noodles. One of Richard’s favorite meals!
The best recipes ever. Thank you for authentic, delicious Mexican food.
Thank You Char! That made my whole day!