Skillet skirt steak tacos! Fajitas! Easy? Yes! Delicious? Absolutely! My first choice would be grilled skirt steak tacos. If it were not 20 degrees on my back porch, it would definitely be grilled steak. But, I cannot say enough how much I enjoy this cooking method that I learned from my Mom. I use this cooking method for beef short ribs, pork carnitas and even pork country ribs. And the best thing is, you start the recipe in one skillet and finish it in that same skillet.
Skillet Skirt Steak Tacos! (Fajitas! Carnitas de Res)
- 1- 1 1/2 pound skirt steak sliced into 2 inch pieces
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 2 cups of water
- 1/2 white onion sliced into strips
- 2 jalapeños sliced into strips
- 1 red bell pepper sliced into strips
- 1 tablespoon Maggi sauce or Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 lime
- Warm tortillas
- Your favorite salsa!
- In a deep skillet, add the beef. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add 2 cups of water and cover. Turn heat to high until water comes to a rapid boil. Turn heat down slightly. Resist the urge to uncover skillet for the next 45 -55 minutes.
- Once all the water evaporates, you should be left with the fat rendered from the skirt steak. Uncover and turn all the pieces of steak to brown the other sides.
- Turn heat up slightly. Add the vegetables to the center of skillet, pushing beef to sides. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add Maggi (or Worcestershire)sauce. Stir fry for a few minutes or until veggies begin to soften slightly. Remove from heat and squeeze in the lime juice.
- Before serving, slice the pieces of steak smaller and mix back in the with vegetables. Serve on warm tortillas with your favorite salsa!! Yields 4 servings