Pineapple cream puffs. What can I say? Yes, I had to go there! Lol! You know I love everything pineapple! Did you know that the formula for preparing the pastry for these pineapple cream puffs is pretty much the same as preparing a churro? The first time I attempted cream puffs, I had a deja vu moment! Churros, I get it. Except that churros are fried, not baked. The hardest part of this whole recipe is washing out the pastry bag, lol! Well, if you decide to use a disposable bag, then that solves that problem. A well made pastry bag with a few piping tips are some good basic kitchen tools to have. You never know when you might hav to decorate a cake or fill cream puffs! Get creative with the fillings.
Pineapple Cream Puffs(Profiteroles)
For Pineapple Curd
- 1 cup fresh pineapple finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
For Pastry Puff
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter cubed
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 large eggs plus 1 for egg wash)
- For Pineapple Curd: In a saucepan, whisk together the pineapple, sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch and salt.
- Turn heat to medium and whisk constantly until mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove rom heat and whisk in the butter and lemon zest. Set aside.
For Pastry Puff:
- In a saucepan, add the butter, coconut milk, water and salt. Heat to medium.
- When it comes to a boil, reduce heat to medium/low and whisk in the flour. Using a wooden spoon, mix well to incorporate the flour.
- Stir until dough pulls away from the sides of saucepan, about 3 minutes. Transfer dough to a mixing bowl and let cool.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until well combined. Transfer dough to a large pastry bag. Pipe 1 1/2-2 inch mounds onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Smooth out any sharp peaks and brush with egg wash. Bake in a preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool. Two hours before serving, slice a little cap off the top of each pastry. Pipe in the pineapple curd to each one, place pastry tops back on. Dust with powdered sugar.