The first thing I ever cooked as a newlywed 29 years ago was Papas con Huevo, a potato and egg scramble. It was probably one of the first things I learned to cook on my own as a teen. So, like clock work, every weekend when I would prepare breakfast on the weekends, I would ask my husband what he would like for breakfast/brunch. His answer was always Papas con Huevo, lol! To this day, he still ask for that same dish. To keep the tradition of our weekend brunch, this was on the menu this morning. For today’s version, I added a little smoked ham that I had in the freezer as well. I always prepare extra for quick tacos the next day.
Both of the salsa recipes above are prepared with tomatillos! Click the link to see those and many more salsa recipes using tomatillos.
Papas con Huevo(Eggs with Potato)
- grapeseed oil or oil of your choice
- 1 large russet potato washed
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup white onion diced
- 1/3 cup poblano or red bell pepper diced
- 1 to 2 serrano or jalapeño minced
- 3/4 cup cooked ham diced
- 5 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Decide how you want to cook your potato. When I am in a hurry, I wash the potato and pre-cook it in the microwave for 6 minutes, turning every 2 minutes. Once it cools slightly, cut it into equal size pieces (chunks).
- Preheat a 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat. Add potatoes and spread out evenly in the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 5 to 6 minutes. Turn the potatoes as needed until golden and somewhat crispy. Season them lightly with salt and pepper as they brown.
- Remove cover, add the onions, chile pepper and other peppers if using and cook for a few more minutes. Add ham and again cook for a few minutes to brown the ham. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and pour into the skillet. Reduce heat slightly, add a pinch of salt and pepper and slowly stir with with spatula until eggs are set and cooked thr
Try adding in some diced tomatoes and crumbled queso cotija.
And sometimes instead of potatoes, I like to add some diced ham! Tasty!