The first thing I ever cooked once on my own, was Papas con Huevo, a potato and egg scramble. It was probably one of the first things I learned to cook on my own as a teen. So, like clock work, every weekend when I would prepare breakfast on the weekends, I would ask my husband what he would like for breakfast/brunch. His answer was always Papas con Huevo, lol! To this day, he still ask for that same dish. To keep the tradition of our weekend brunch, this was on the menu this morning. For today’s version, I added a little smoked ham that I had in the freezer as well. I always prepare extra for quick tacos the next day.
The Video Version Varies Slightly From The Written Recipe Below
Every time I prepare these quick breakfast recipes, they may vary depending on what ingredients I may have on hand. They are all delicious and I encourage you to put your own spin on the recipe!
Both of the salsa recipes above are prepared with tomatillos! Click the link to see those and many more salsa recipes using tomatillos.
Papas con Huevo(Eggs with Potato)
- 2 tbsps avocado oil
- 1 large russet potato, 2 cups washed
- 1/3 cup white onion diced
- 1 serrano minced
- 1/3 cup red bell pepper, optional diced
- 1/2 cup cooked ham, optional diced
- 5 large eggs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat a 2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat. Add potatoes and spread out evenly in the pan. Cover the pan and cook for 8-9 minutes. Turn the potatoes as needed until golden and somewhat crispy. Season them lightly with salt and pepper as they brown.
- Remove cover, add the onions, chile pepper and other peppers or ham, if using. Sauté for 3 minutes. Add ham and again saute for 3 minutes to brown the ham. Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and pour into the skillet. Reduce heat slightly, add a pinch of salt and pepper and slowly stir with with spatula until eggs are set and cooked through and set.
Try adding in some diced tomatoes and crumbled queso cotija.
And sometimes instead of potatoes, I like to add some diced ham! Tasty!