This chicken tortilla soup recipe was originally shared with me from my sister-in-law, Janet. I since then have added my twist to the recipe. On my blog, I also have the more authentic and traditional Mexican tortilla soup recipe. I have updated the post with some recent photos.
Adding the diced tortillas in the beginning when preparing the soup base is the key that yields the most delicious tortilla flavor!
This has to be one of my all time favorite soups, well besides Pozole of course, LOL! For this, homemade chicken stock is a must! And don’t forget the crispy fried tortilla strips…yum! Recipe below. Check out the all green chicken tortilla soup for a slight variation. I think next time I may add some hominy too. Ok, now it’s sounding more like pozole! LOl! Buen Provecho~
A veggie version of tortilla soup!!
- 2 to 3 cups of chicken cooked and shredded
- 6 corn tortillas diced
- 1 small white onion diced
- 4 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño or serrano pepper minced
- 1 small red bell pepper diced
- 4 Roma tomatoes diced
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro more for garnish
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 bay leaves
- 1½ teaspoons cumin
- 1½ garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- 7 to 8 cups chicken broth
- Olive oil
- Fried tortilla strips
- Avocado slices
- Lime wedges
- Diced Jalapeño
- Shredded or crumbled cheese
- In a large pot, heat about 3 tablespoons of oil to medium heat. Add the corn tortillas and cook until the tortillas start to crisp up. Add the onion, jalapeño and red bell pepper, cook for 3 minutes, add the garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Stir in the tomatoes, bay leaves, cilantro, a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for a few minutes, adding a little bit of broth. Add the remaining ingredients, stir well to combine, bring to a boil, reduce heat and cook for an additional 20 minutes. Taste for salt before serving.
- For vegetable variation of the soup: Add 3 carrots, 1 small yellow squash, 2 stalks celery, and 2 cups fennel. Slice all of the veggies into slices or bite-size pieces. Follow recipe as usual, adding the vegetables at the same time you add in the onions. You can also use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.
Mexican style soup recipes are delicious! Mexican style soups with fresh garnishes are amazing!!!
Tomatillo Poblano Tortilla Soup is a green version of my tortilla soup recipe from above. All you have to do is switch out the red tomatoes and red bell pepper for green tomatillos and green poblano pepper! It’s a tasty variation to the original.
Tips~ For a Rock Star version of Chicken Tortilla Soup, take the time to prepare some homemade chicken stock. Purchase a whole chicken cut up, poach it for an hour at a simmer. Add salt,onion, carrot, celery, bay leaves, peppercorn, garlic and dried chile de arbol while poaching the chicken. Remove chicken and shred the meat. Strain the stock, cool then chill overnight and remove fat from top layer before using for your recipes. You will not regret taking the time to do this.
10 to 12 corn tortillas
2 cups canola oil
Salt to taste
1. In a small, heavy sauce pan preheat oil to medium/high heat for 10 minutes. Divide the tortillas into 2 equal stacks. Cut in half, then stack again. With a sharp knife, cut into thin strips.
2. When oil is ready (at least 350 degrees), add 1/3 of the tortilla strips to oil. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels. Using a metal spider, turn strips in the oil. Fry for about 2 to 3 minutes, or until crispy. Transfer to lined cookie sheet to drain. Sprinkle lightly with salt while the strips are still hot. Continue frying until all strips are done.
3. Let the strips cool completely before storing in a plastic storage bag. I like to use the strips to garnish my favorite soup and salad recipes. Yields up to 6 servings.
[…] Chicken Tortilla Soup by Pina En La Cocina […]
Thank you Cynthia!