I woke up one morning hungry for cake! And not just any cake, but Mexican chocolate cake with pink frosting! Lol! Two of my favorite foods, Mexican chocolate and cake. The seven minute frosting is the same recipe that mom used on our cakes as kids.
You can say I have a thing for pink cake!
Since I was a little girl, I loved the color pink. Every year for my birthday mom would ask me what color frosting would I like on my cake? Pink! A few years back I decided that for my birthday/anniversary, I would challenge myself to bake a cake from scratch. The challenge was to incorporate the pink color somewhere on the cake. I have fun with it every year.
Round cake or square cake?
Does it really matter? No! Lol! Life is too short to not enjoy a piece of homemade cake. It is fun to use different cake pans from time to time.
More pink delicious treats!
Mexican Chocolate Cake
- 13×9 baking pan
- 3/4 cup oil avocado, canola, coconut oil(melted)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1/3 cup strong coffee mix 1 full tbsp nescafe into 1/3 cup hot water or previously brewed coffee
- 1 cup milk mixed with 1 tbsp white vinegar at room temperature
- 6 oz of Mexican chocolate(ibarra or abuelita brand), ground into a fine powder
- 1 3/4 cups cake flour or 1 3/4 c all purpose flour with 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 3 large egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 large orange
- pink food coloring gel
- 13×9 pan
- baking spray
- If you have a mini chopper or coffee grinder, you can add small pieces of the Mexican chocolate to grind into a fine powder ahead of time.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the baking pan and set aside.
- In the bowl of the stand mixer , mix the eggs, vanilla, oil and coffee for 2 minutes.
- Pour in the milk and mix for another two minutes. Mix in the ground Mexican chocolate for 1 minute.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt. Whisk together.
- Gradually mix the wet ingredients with the dry until batter is incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread out evenly. Bake in preheated 350 degree F oven for 23-28 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center of the cake. Let cake cool completely before you add frosting. Test cake after 23 minutes. All ovens vary.
- In a medium glass bowl, combine 3/4 c sugar, 1/4 c water, 1 tbsp honey and 3 large egg whites.
- Place the bowl over a sauce pan of simmering water. Whisk now and then. Cook until the mixture reads 160 degrees F. Remove from heat.
- Using a hand held electric mixer, beat the mixture until it becomes thick and glossy. Mix in the vanilla, orange zest and desired food coloring gel. Frost cake! Add some fun and colorful sprinkles!