This blog post will be short and sweet…and savory..and a little spicy! For today’s community lunch, I decided to go simple and share some of my favorite antojitos(snacks) Mexicanos with my friends. Frutas frescas is one of the most popular of all Mexican snacks
As a kid and even to this day, I cannot pass up a big cup of frutas frescas(fresh fruits) with fresh key lime, chile limon(Tajin) and hot sauce. Today’s salad was actually inspired by my recent trip to Miami, where I was finally able to enjoy some authentic Cuban foods. Among one of the dishes served at the Hispanicize 2016 event was a fresh fruit salad dressed with lime juice and garnished with parsley. It was delicious!
My “Mexican” take on this salad. My three favorite fruits are pineapple(of course), mango and jicama. It was a big hit at the lunch today and for many it was their first time eating jicama and fresh key lime juice.
I always get picked on for pronouncing mango in Spanish?? I will eat it however you like to pronounce it. I am not fussy.
Mango with fresh key lime juice, chile de arbol powder, tajin(chile limon powder) and Valentina hot sauce!!
Jicama~Popular in Mexico, but also popular in Asian and Thai cooking.
Piña~Pineapple, and you know how I feel about piña? My favorite!! #lapiñaenlacocina #mynickname #piñita
But, wait, there’s more fruta fresca coming your way!
Can’t find Mexican products!
That used to be the case where I lived for many years. I couldn’t find chile limon seasoning, so I prepared my own!
This is my current crush!
Cubed watermelon, baby cucumbers, lemon juice, crushed red chiles and salt.
Pineapple, Mango and Jicama Salad
- 3 mango peeled and sliced
- 1/2 of a fresh large pineapple, sliced
- 1 jicama peeled and sliced
- *you want equal amounts od each about 3 cups each
- 1 large orange or red bell pepper sliced into thin ribbons or strips
- 1 red fresno or green jalapeno chile pepper minced fine
- 1/3 cup cilantro chopped fine
- Juice of 6-8 key limes about 1/3 cup
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons of agave nectar
- 2 tablespoons of Tajin chile limon powder
- Salt to taste
- Toss the fruit, jicama and peppers together in a large bowl. Whisk together the lime juice, oil, agave, chile limon and salt to taste. Pour over fruit, add cilantro and stir well to combine. Taste for salt and chile limon powder. Cover and chill until ready to serve.