I like elotes(corn)! I love grilled elotes even more! This is the only recipe I use for grilling corn these days.
Why keep the husk on while grilling?
Glad you asked! By keeping the husk on and then spraying the husk with water it creates a steamy environment when grilled. In Twenty minutes it steams that corn beautifully.
Mayonnaise, Sour Cream Or Mexican Crema?
And what about butter? I feel like one should just customize the grilled elote to suit their taste. I like mayo, cotija cheese, chile limon, crema and lime. I am not opposed to extra hot sauce or butter! Make it your own.
There’s that corn husk keeping that tender corn safe from drying out.
Tying the husk back like this prevents it from burning too much while corn is directly over the heat. Plus it’s work as a handle of sorts when you pick up the corn to eat it.
Char as much or as little as you want. Or don’t char at all. I do think a little char adds a nice smoky flavor to the elote though.
- Outdoor Grill
- 4-6 ears of corn
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup cotija cheese
- 1/4 cup chile limon seasoning
- 1/2 cup Mexican crema
- lime wedges
- Trim away a few of the corn husk from each ear of corn.
- Place the corn in the sink or in large colander. Spray with water for a few minutes, turning as needed.
- Place the wet corn on the indirect side of an outdoor grill that has been preheating. Close the lid and cook the corn for 20 minutes. Turn and rotate the corn after 10 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, carefully remove the corn from the grill. Let sit for a few minutes.
- Pull back the corn husk, discarding silks, and tie the husk using strips of torn corn husk. Place corn back onto the direct, hot, side of the grill to char slightly. Turn as needed. Remove from grill. Slather mayonnaise on corn. Roll in cotija cheese. Sprinkle generously with chile limon seasoning, Drizzle with Mexican crema and squeeze on some fresh lime juice.
What if you need an appetizer for 6 and only have 4 elotes?
After you grill the corn and it cools slightly, cut all the kernals off into a serving dish. Add all of your favorite toppings, with extra cheese and crema! Serve with homemade corn tortilla chips!
Would Love to Hear From You