I Loved chicken taquitos as a kid and I love them even more today! I mean, what’s not to love? Crispy corn tortillas filled with shredded chicken, beef or pork like a compact taco. And my favorite topping of tomatillo avocado salsa that I cannot be without. Besides pico de gallo, the “green sauce” is a must for any Mexican themed dinner I prepare for friends. No matter how many times I prepare them, I must indulge the foodie within me and take just one more picture! Lol! For today’s post, I share with you a few of my favorite taquito pictures and a few variations on how to prepare them. And whether you know them as flautas, taquitos or tacos dorados, they are delicious! Make sure you add them to your menu for your next Mexican night. Prep them the day before with my baked taquito recipe below and then all you have to do is flash fry them right before serving. They can be frozen once fried for a quick appetizer or snack. Now, you know there is no excuse why you have not prepared these yet. Buen Provecho! #foodieforlife #mexicanfood
Taquitos de Pollo~Chicken Taquitos(Flautas)
- 4 cups shredded chicken previously cooked
- 6 roasted green chiles diced or 2 cans (7 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup grated Cotija cheese or crumbled queso fresco
- 1/3 cup green onions diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 teaspoon cumin OPTIONAL
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 to 30 corn tortillas
- Oil for frying
- In a large bowl, combine the shredded chicken along with green chiles, cheese, green onions, cilantro, lime juice, and spices, stir well to combine, taste for salt.
- Preheat 4 cups of oil to medium heat in a heavy, deep skillet or pan.
- At the same time, heat a flat griddle pan to medium heat. I like to heat 6 tortillas at a time on the griddle and keep them warm in a tortilla warmer. In the past I have used the microwave to heat the tortillas, but they always, always tear and crack open when I roll them.
- Once you have 12 tortillas in the warmer, you can start filling and rolling. Add about 3 to 4 tablespoons of filling in each tortilla. Roll as tight as you can and secure with toothpick.
- Carefully add 6 taquitos to the hot oil. While the 6 are frying, heat another 6 tortillas and transfer them to the warmer, this will help the process go faster. Line a large bowl with paper towels, set aside. Fry the taquitos for a minute or two on each side or until golden and crispy. Transfer taquitos(standing up) to bowl and let drain. Remove toothpicks before serving.
Tips~ Prepare a large batch, cool completely. Store leftovers in heavy freezer bags and freeze for a few weeks. You can bake or flash fry to reheat.
Tips~My Dad always told us tortillas needed to be heated on the hot comal (griddle) to complete the cooking process, and I believe it! In the past, my steamed tortillas tear when I would try to roll them. Unless, you have good quality tortillas, then you are good to go!
Stand up fried taquitos in a bowl lined with paper towels to remove the excess oil.
Tomatillo Avocado Salsa! Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.
Here are some flautas prepared with flour tortillas and filled with chicken and queso Oaxaca.
Baked Chicken Taquitos. Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.
Chicken Taquitos, Salsa Verde and Chihuahua Cheese! Layered taquitos, salsa verde and Chihuahua cheese under the broiler just until the cheese melts. So Tasty!
Tomatillo Salsa-Salsa Verde. Click onto picture to see full recipe on site.
Bacon Wrapped Green Chile and Cheese Taquitos…a little testing going on in my kitchen this day. Next time, I would wrap the whole taquito and fry them! Lol! I baked them and then just added them to a dry nonstick skillet to brown the bacon a little more. Queso Oaxaca and Mozzarella inside. Topped with pickled onions and peppers.
Topped with tomatillo avocado salsa, fresh lettuce and shredded queso Oaxaca….
[…] On this night, my arroz or cilantro rice was the perfect side for chicken flautas(flautas de pollo). Click the link to see the recipe that includes the salsa verde. https://pinaenlacocina.com/green-chile-chicken-taquitostaquitos-de-pollo/ […]