Gorditas de Harina(Savory Gorditas)
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup
- shortening manteca or butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup hot water
- In a bowl, add the flour, salt and baking powder. Cut in the shortening with your hands or using a pastry cutter until you have small crumbles. Gradually add in the hot water until dough forms.
- Transfer to flat surface and knead the dough for 5 minutes. If it feels too dry, add water, 1 teaspoon at a time. Divide into 6 -8 equal dough balls, place back in bowl, cover and let rest for 30 minutes.
- When ready to roll, preheat a skillet, that has a lid, to medium heat for 5 minutes. While the skillet preheats, roll out the gorditas. Roll each dough ball out to about 4 to 4 1/2 inches in diameter. I did not require any extra flour to roll them out. They rolled out fairly easy. Roll out however many will fit in your skillet.
- Place on hot surface, cover with lid, and cook for a total of 2 to 3 minutes. Turn halfway through cooking time. I find that by covering them with a lid, the steam created helps them puff out and cook more evenly on the inside
- Place cooked gorditas in between a kitchen towel. If you are going to fill them right away, it's much easier to slice them while warm. Take a small sharp knife and slice them 3/4 of the way open to create a pocket. Fill with your favorites, such as beans, cheese, avocado or your favorite guisado(stewed meats) or chicharrones en salsa. If not using right away, cool them completely and store in plastic storage bag at room temperature for 2 days or up to one week in refrigerator.
Gorditas stuffed with beans, machaca con huevo (dried beef and egg scramble)and red and green salsa!