Gorditas stuffed with beans, machaca con huevo (dried beef and egg scramble)and red and green salsa!
Gorditas de Harina(Savory Gorditas)
- 1/3 cup shortening or manteca(lard)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup hot water or hot evaporated milk
- In a bowl, cream the lard or shortening. Mix in the salt. Cut in the flour until you have small crumbles. Gradually mix in 1/2 c the hot water or evaporated milk until dough forms. Knead for 5-7 minutes. If it feels to dry, add more liquid, kneading well after each addition. Cover and let rest for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, divide into 6 -8 equal dough balls, place back in bowl, cover and let rest for another 20 minutes.
- When ready to roll, preheat a skillet or griddle(comal) to just below medium heat for 5 minutes.
- While the skillet preheats, roll out the gorditas. Before rolling out, rework each dough ball using your hands. On a flat, lightly floured surface, roll each dough ball out to about 4 inches in diameter and stack on top of each other.
- Transfer to hot surface and cook for a total of 3-4 minutes. Turn halfway through cooking time.
- Place cooked gorditas in a tortillera lined with a kitchen towel. If you want to stuff them, it's best to carefully slice them open while they are still warm. Take a small sharp knife and slice them 3/4 of the way open to create a pocket. Fill with your favorites, such as beans, cheese, avocado or your favorite guisado(stewed meats) or chicharrones en salsa. If not using right away, cool them completely and store in plastic storage bag at room temperature for 2 days or up to one week in refrigerator.