Espaguetis verdes translates to green spaghetti. I love green food! This decadent recipe for espaguetis verde is not a dish that I prepare everyday. It’s one of those recipes that you share with friends and family. I can’t be trusted if left alone with that whole pan! Lol!
Does green food intimidate you?
I personally know people who refuse to eat green food, lol! Salsa verde, guacamole, chile verde and more? What are they scared of? Scared that it’s going to be soo delicious? Exactly! Make sure you save this salsa verde recipe for future recipes. It’s the perfect green enchilada sauce, by the way.
Are You Ready For Espaguetis Verdes?
1. Add 1/3 of the salsa verde!
2. Add half of the pasta!
3. Add toasted chile/garlic, to taste.
4. Add half of the ham.
5. Add half of the bacon!
6. Add 1/3 of the cheese.
7. Add 1/3 Mexican crema.
8. Add 1/3 more salsa verde.
Repeat the layers, pasta, remaining ham, remaining bacon, 1/3 cheese, 1/3 crema, 1/3 salsa. Then add remaining Mexican crema and end with remaining cheese.
Espaguetis Verde Gratinado(Salsa Verde Spaghetti Casserole)
- Oven proof pan or baking dish
- 12 medium to large tomatillos peeled, washed and sliced in half
- 1 large poblano seeded and sliced
- 2 large jalapeños stems removed, sliced
- 1/2 medium white onion sliced
- 4-6 cloves of garlic smashed
- 3 tbsp avocado or grapeseed oil
- 3 tsps chicken bouillon powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Mexican oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 1/2-3 cups Water
You Will Also Need
- 12 oz smoky bacon sliced small
- 12 oz spaghetti pasta
- 1/4 cup avocado oil
- 8-10 cloves of garlic minced
- 1-2 chile de arbol crushed
- 3/4 pound deli sliced smoky ham chopped small
- 15 oz Mexican crema
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese shredded
Salsa Verde Instructions
- Add the tomatillos, poblano, jalapenos, garlic and onion to an extra large skillet. Heat to medium. You are going to dry roast the ingredients for 10-15 minutes or just until tomatillos begin to soften. At that point, drizzle in 1 tablespoon of oil into the pan. Saute for another five minutes.
- Transfer salsa ingredients to the blender jar. To the pan, add 1 1/2 cups of water and gently scrape off all the bits that are at the bottom of pan. Pour that water into the blender jar. Add another 1 1/2 cups of water. Also add 3 tsps chicken bouillon, 1 tsp cumin, 1tsp oregano, pepper to taste and salt to taste. Blend on high for one minute. If salsa is too thick, add a little more water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of oil to a medium pot and preheat for a few minutes at medium heat. After a few minutes, pour in the blended salsa verde. Stir well and continue cooking at a steady simmer for 15-20 minutes. Taste for seasoning and adjust to your liking.
Spaghetti Casserole Instructions
- While salsa verde is cooking, cook spaghetti according to package instructions. Drain and rinse with very cold water so it stops cooking. Set aside. Also at the same time cook the bacon at medium heat until crispy. Using a slotted spoon, transfer bacon to a plate or bowl. Set aside. Chop ham and set aside.
- At medium heat in a medium skillet, add 1/4 cup of oil. Add the minced garlic and spread it out evenly. After a few minutes when the garlic begins to sizzle, stir it as needed. As soon as it turns a light golden brown, crush the chile de arbol and add it to the garlic. Saute for just a few more seconds. Carefull drain out excess oil into a bowl.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In an oven proof deep skillet or baking dish, add 1 1/2 cups of salsa verde and spread out evenly. Add half of the spaghetti, add all of the toasted garlic, half of the ham, half of the bacon, 1/3 of the cheese and 1/3 of the Mexican crema. Repeat the layers(minus the garlic).
- To finish, add the remaining salsa crema and end with cheese on top. Bake in preheated oven for 30-35 minutes uncovered. After that, turn broiler to high. Broil just until cheese is bubbly and browned. Remove from oven and let sit for 20 minutes before serving. Serve with your favorite salad and bread.