Cortadillos Mexicanos or as I like to call it La Panaderia Mexican Pink Cake! Who doesn’t enjoy homemade cake? Serve with a hot cup of cafe con leche or a big glass of cold milk. That is a meal in itself! I would never pass up a chance to ride to la panaderia with my parents. As soon as you walked in, the aroma put you in a trance, lol! Grab that red plastic tray and a pair of metal tongs and then came the hard part. Which pan dulce to take home. Cortadillos Mexicanos or pan cortadillo(sliced bread), was my first choice always. it had to be pink, along with a few pink conchas and besos de coco! Did I mention that my first paying job at 18 was at a Mexican bakery? Hence the addiction!
Since I was a young girl, I have always loved pink cake! Mom always prepared homemade cake for our birthday’s and mine always had to be pink. To see the original post for Mexican Pink Cake, click Here!
Cortadillos Mexicanos- La Panaderia Pink Cake
- For Cake
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup oil today I used coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime optional
- 1 cup milk
For Light Pink Frosting (Thicker)
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter softened
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pink food coloring gel
- Zest of 1 lemon or lime
- Candy sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray or oil a 11 1/2X8 (for thicker cake) or a 9X13 (for thin cake), set aside.
- In one bowl, combine the cake flour, baking powder and salt. Stir to combine, set aside.
- In another bowl, cream together the sugar, eggs, oil and vanilla until creamy. Add in the lemon(or lime) zest, if using. While the mixer is running, alternate adding some flour, then some milk until batter is smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until knife comes out clean from center of cake. Start checking the cake after 23 minutes. If you over bake, it will be dry. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Once cake has cooled, prepare frosting. In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar, butter, milk and vanilla. Add the food coloring and stir until well combined. If using zest, mix that in . Frost the cake in the pan and add sprinkles. The frosting will firm up as it sets.