New year and I am wanting to try something different with this blog post for coditos con carne(Pasta With Beef)! Instead of loading a ton of pictures, I want to share a simple step by step video!
Who didn’t grow up with sopita as a kid?
Even if you didn’t grow up in a traditional Mexican home, as a kid , we all loved pasta! Fideo, conchas, caracoles, coditos and more! I have plenty of sopa recipes on site that you can choose from. Adding the beef makes this a complete meal good enough for all the big kids in your familia too!
Coditos Con Carne(Elbow Macaroni With Beef)
Traditional dishes like this sopita(pasta) is what many of us grew up on! Easy step by step Mexican recipes!Print Pin Rate
Servings: 6 Servings
- Grapeseed oil
- 7 ounces coditos elbow pasta
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole serrano pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato/chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 previously roasted poblano diced
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of grapeseed or olive oil to medium heat. Add the uncooked pasta(Coditos). Continue cooking and toasting the pasta for 6-8 minutes, stirring as needed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, at medium heat, add the ground chuck. Season with 3/4 tsps each of salt, pepper and comino(cumin). Mix in 1/2 tsp of crushed Mexican oregano. Brown and sear the beef for 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the onion, garlic, whole serrano and bay leaves. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the tomatoes to the blender jar. Also add the bouillon, tomato sauce and four cups of water. Blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour blended tomato sauce into the skillet with the beef. Stir well to combine. When it comes up to a boil, taste it for salt. Add the zucchini and poblano. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Pour in the reserved toasted/fried pasta to the skillet with beef. Stir well to combine. Add a small handful of fresh cilantro. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking until pasat is cooked through. Pasta cooks in about 10-12 minutes.
- If you like it soupy, serve it right away. Garnish with crumbled queso fresco, Mexican crema, Lime and hot sauce. Yields 6 large servings
Can’t find fideo pasta, grab a box of linguine and break into smaller sections. How To Roast A Poblano Pepper Set washed and dried poblano peppers on a metal rack lined with a baking sheet. Place about 6 inches under broiler set to high heat. Broil for 10 minutes per side or until skins blister all around. Remove from broiler and transfer to clean kitchen towel to steam and cool. Peel, remove stems and seeds once cooled. You can also dry roast the poblanos on a cast iron griddle or skillet at medium heat on the stove top. This process takes longer. Turn as needed.
Tried this recipe?Mention @pinaenlacocina or tag #pinaenlacocina!
Wow , thanks for taking me back to my young days at home , with my parents. Best coditios with carne
You’re welcome Pat. It’s exactly one of those recipes. Thank you for the feedback!
Definitely reminds me of my late mother’s recipe. I use to help her make it. It turned out delicious. Thank you
Oh, that makes me happy! Thank you for taking the time to comment.