New year and I am wanting to try something different with this blog post for coditos con carne(Pasta With Beef)! Instead of loading a ton of pictures, I want to share a simple step by step video!
Who didn’t grow up with sopita as a kid?
Even if you didn’t grow up in a traditional Mexican home, as a kid , we all loved pasta! Fideo, conchas, caracoles, coditos and more! I have plenty of sopa recipes on site that you can choose from. Adding the beef makes this a complete meal good enough for all the big kids in your familia too!
Coditos Con Carne(Elbow Macaroni With Beef)
- Grapeseed oil
- 7 ounces coditos elbow pasta
- 1 pound ground chuck
- 1 cup onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 whole serrano pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 4 large roma tomatoes roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato/chicken bouillon
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce
- 4 cups water
- 1 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 previously roasted poblano diced
- In a skillet, heat 2 tbsp of grapeseed or olive oil to medium heat. Add the uncooked pasta(Coditos). Continue cooking and toasting the pasta for 6-8 minutes, stirring as needed. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, at medium heat, add the ground chuck. Season with 3/4 tsps each of salt, pepper and comino(cumin). Mix in 1/2 tsp of crushed Mexican oregano. Brown and sear the beef for 8-10 minutes.
- Mix in the onion, garlic, whole serrano and bay leaves. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- In the meantime, add the tomatoes to the blender jar. Also add the bouillon, tomato sauce and four cups of water. Blend on high until very smooth.
- Pour blended tomato sauce into the skillet with the beef. Stir well to combine. When it comes up to a boil, taste it for salt. Add the zucchini and poblano. Simmer for 8 minutes.
- Pour in the reserved toasted/fried pasta to the skillet with beef. Stir well to combine. Add a small handful of fresh cilantro. Cover, reduce heat and continue cooking until pasat is cooked through. Pasta cooks in about 10-12 minutes.
- If you like it soupy, serve it right away. Garnish with crumbled queso fresco, Mexican crema, Lime and hot sauce. Yields 6 large servings