Cilantro lime corn tortillas! What? I love tortillas and you know that I love anything cilantro lime! Three ingredients that could be found in our family’s pantry at all times were corn tortillas, cilantro and limes. It’s so easy to prepare these cilantro lime corn tortillas right in your own kitchen. No tortilla press? A sturdy flat surface and a flat book is all you need in a pinch!
For this recipe I used a large wooden tortilla press. You can see that the tortilla has different markings embedded into it from the wood. A metal press will be a little different.
Blending the cilantro and water yield a pretty green tinted tortilla!
Cilantro Lime Corn Tortillas
- 1 medium bunch of fresh cilantro washed
- 1 3/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 3/4 cup masa harina more or less
- Trim the bottom of cilantro stems after washing cilantro really well. Roughly chop.
- To the blender, add cilantro, 1 3/4 cup of water, salt and lime juice. Blend on high for 45-50 seconds. Strain into a glass bowl. Heat in the microwave just for a minute or so.
- Gradually begin to mix in the masa harina until the dough forms. It should be a little tacky but not sticky. Then mix in 1 full tablespoons of finely chopped cilantro. Divide into 20 equal masa balls and flatten slightly. Transfer to large plastic storage bag as you shape them. Let them sit for 20 minutes.
- Preheat a griddle or comal to medium heat for 5-6 minutes. Line a tortilla press with two pieces of plastic, wax paper or parchment paper.
- Press the masa balls until thin. Transfer tortilla to griddle and cook tortillas for about 30 seconds per side. Tortillas should inflate slightly or alot! Place cooked tortillas in a covered pot lined with a kitchen towel. Keep covered with a lid. The steam created will yield a soft flexible tortilla.
My masa harina of choice is the one pictured below. For this recipe I used the yellow corn masa harina.
If you wanted a more mild flavor of cilantro, you could skip blending the cilantro water and just add some fresh chopped cilantro, warm water and salt to the masa harina.
[…] Homemade Cilantro Lime Corn Tortillas! Recipe on the blog right now! Click https://pinaenlacocina.com/cilantro-lime-corn-tortillas/ […]
[…] CILANTRO LIME https://pinaenlacocina.com/cilantro-lime-corn-tortillas/ […]