Easy fish ceviche(Ceviche de Pescado)! For those days when it’s just too hot to cook. It may take you longer to prep than to do the actual assembling of the recipe! Lol! I had this beautiful two pound filet of cod and ceviche was the plan! My absolute favorite way to prepare cod is on the grill, but that is for another day when it’s not so hot outside.
Are You Inspired By Food Ingredients?
I am!! While shopping at the Hispanic market, I stumbled upon these square shaped corn tostadas. Immediately, I knew I wanted them for ceviche. And I cannot be without the staple ingredients in my kitchen. Tomato, chile peppers, onion, cilantro, limes and cucumber you will find in my refrigerator most times! Ready for anything! What staple ingredients will I find in your kitchen? Not to mention spices, dairy products, assorted frozen meats and seafood, plus general baking ingredients. Most days, I will open the cupboard or refrigerator and spot an ingredient. That sets the tone for the rest of the day and what I will cook, lol!
What Is The Best Fish For Ceviche?
I will admit, I am no authority on seafood in general. I can only base my decision on experience and tons of cooking and testing of recipes. My favorite fish for ceviche is a firm white fish, such as cod because it is readily available. Now mind you, the cod marinates long enough in the lime juice, so it will not be raw. Cod is not sashimi grade and shouldn’t be eaten raw. Other popular choices for fish ceviche are bass, grouper, sole and rockfish. I can rarely find those selections where I live! Lol! In the past, I have used catfish, mahi mahi, flounder and salmon.
Ceviche Is Not For Every Occasion!
Know that when you prepare ceviche, you cannot store it forever! It’s meant to be enjoyed fresh! Plan ahead and have a back up plan if you are taking your ceviche to an outdoor party. It must be kept cold to avoid contamination from the heat. That would not be fun! Pack a larger bowl and bring plenty of ice to nest your bowl of ceviche to keep chilled. To kick up your presentation of the ceviche, right before serving, fold in some previously cooked shrimp and pulpo, finely minced fried garlic(don’t burn it!) and cubes of avocado!
How Did I Not Do This Before???
Mayonnaise, mustard and chipotle! Who knew? Chipotle mayo, yes! Been there, done that. Mix in a little mustard and the three flavors compliment each other. They’re so tasty as a base on the tostada before adding the ceviche. Oh, and about those NOPALITOS I spooned on top of the ceviche tostada, delicious!
Need More Ceviche Recipes?
Never in my wildest dreams did I ever imagine that I would be sitting here, in front of my computer, typing to you on my blog about recipes! I worked in the retail world for so many years, I never thought I could make a living working from home. It’s definitely a dream job if you enjoy what you do. I am thankful! Sorry, I went off the subject for a few minutes. Back to the CEVICHE RECIPES!
Onto The Recipe!!! Enjoy!
- 2 lbs fresh cod diced
- 12 large limes
- 2 large Roma tomatoes seeded and diced
- 1 large cucumber mostly peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 large chile serrano minced
- 3/4 c white or red onion finely diced or thinly sliced
- Cilantro, to taste I added about 1/3 cup
- 1 tsp chiltepin or chile piquin crushed
- 1/2 tsp granulated garlic
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1 tbs yellow mustard
- 1 chipotle in adobo with 1 tbsp adobo sauce
- 16 Tostadas
- Your favorite hot sauce
- Avocado slices
- Extra lime
- Finely dice the fresh cod fish and transfer to a large glass bowl. Squeeze the juice from all the limes into the bowl with fish. Stir well to combine, making sure fish is covered with juice, Cover with plastic wrap and keep chilled while you finish prepping other ingredients.
- Once you finish prepping, finish assembling the ceviche. To the fish, mix in the tomato, cucumber, onion, chile serrano and cilantro. Stir well to combine. Season with crushed chiltepin, granulated garlic, salt and pepper. Cover and chill for 20 minutes.
- Mix mayonnaise, mustard, chipotle and adobo. Taste for salt. Set aside.
- When ready to serve, spread a light layer of chipotle mayo onto tostadas. Top with ceviche, hot sauce, avocado and pinch of salt! Enjoy!