How does one prepare chile oil? It’s much easier than you think. Chile oil consist of dried chiles and oil. You can add garlic, oregano, seeds, nuts or vinegar. I have tried all of the above. It’s an oil based salsa basically.
What do I use chile oil (salsa macha)on? That’s the most asked question when I share the recipe. My response, everything!! Lol! It’s just another layer of flavor on a taco, salad, roasted vegetables, nachos, soups and more!
Just type salsa macha into the search bar here on my blog and a few options will pop up. I have prepared the salsa most times in the blender, but also tried it in the molcajete a few times. For me it’s just about keeping the traditional methods alive and well. The molcajete isn’t for everyone. Do what works best for you.
Click the Link For The Spicy Salsa Macha Recipe! http://pinaenlacocina.com/2017/02/17/salsa-macha/
How To Prepare Chile Oil (Mild Salsa Macha)
Prepare your own chile oil or mild salsa macha with just a few ingredients.
- 10 chile guajillo
- 8 chile costeño
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 2 cups of grapeseed oil
- 3 tablespoons of white vinegar optional
- salt to taste
- Remove the stems and seeds from the large chile guajillo. Tear them into pieces and transfer to a medium sauce pan.
- Remove just the stems from the chile costeño. Transfer to the sauce pan along with garlic and 2 cups of grapeseed oil.
- Heat to medium/low. After a few minutes the chiles and garlic will being to bubble and become aromatic. Continue cooking at a low heat for 6-8 minutes or until garlic look golden in color. Remove from heat ant let cool.
- Once cool, transfer chile garlic mix to the blender along with all the oil. Add the vinegar and salt to taste. Pulse to blender until you achieve the desired consistency.
If you can’t find chile costeño, you can add a few more 2 more chile guajillo and 4 chile de arbol. You can also substitute the costeño with chile cascabel. You will add a little heat, without making it too spicy.
Adding the vinegar is optional. I like the note of acidity that it add to the recipe. It’s taste 10 times better after a few days.
Easy and delicious appetizer! Spoon some over queso fresco and serve with tortilla chips or crackers.
Here I was sharing this as my dish to pass at a party. Queso fresco on either end and a block of cream cheese in the center.
Super easy shrimp marinade once your salsa is prepared. Simply toss the uncooked shrimp with some salsa, garlic powder, pepper and salt as needed. Saute at high heat for a few minutes. Mix in some thin sliced serrano peppers.
Tasty and easy shrimp tacos!!
Garnish tamales with either the mild or spicy salsa macha! Click link to see full recipe for Tamales Verdes! https://pinaenlacocina.com/2019/12/05/tamales-verdes-green-chile-masa-tamal/
Drizzle inside of tamal before steaming!