It’s much easier than you think to prepare a delicious cheeseball at home. You start with a few basic ingredients and then the combination of flavors is endless!
The fun and delicious part about preparing your own cheeseball is that the combinations are endless. They can be sweet, savory or spicy! The coating on the outside is a combination of crushed tortilla chips. One is taco flavored and the other one, Takis, is a spicy chile and lime.
Chipotle Cheddar Cheese Ball
A delicious cheeseball recipe is easy to prepare! A few basic ingredients to start, then add in your favorite ingredients! Endless flavor combinations.
- 8 ounces cream cheese softened
- 8 ounces extra sharp cheddar shredded
- 2 tablespoons sour cream
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 chipotles in adobo finely minced
- 2 green onions sliced thin
- 3 ounces taco flavored Doritos
- 3 ounces Takis spicy chile lime corn chips
- In a bowl, combine the cream cheese, cheddar cheese, spices, chipotles and green onions. Mix well to combine.
- Using a silicone spatula, transfer the cheese to a cut section of plastic wrap. Bring up the sides of the plastic to covert cheese and carefully mold into a big ball. Set aside.
- Transfer the doritos and takis to a mini chopper and pulse to finely chop.
- Transfer to a shallow bowl. Remove the plastic from the cheese ball over the crushed chips. Spoon crushed chips over cheeseball and pat down. Roll as needed, pressing as you go until the entire surface is cover.
- Wrap with a new piece of plastic wrap and chill until ready to serve. Serve with cracker, tortilla chips or pita chips.
For Garlic and Onion Variation; To the cream cheese and cheddar cheese mix, add in 1 TBS dried onions, 1 TBS dried garlic, 1 TBS chopped parsley and a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes. You will also need 1/2-3/4 cup finely crushed pecans. Roll the cheeseball in pecans until evenly coated. If you have more parsley, you could mix some into the pecans for color.
I like using dried onion and garlic for a longer shelf life of the cheeseball. If you prefer a smoother cheeseball, you can use granulated garlic and onion, 2 teaspoons of each.
And of course, I am using my favorite cheddar cheese brand!
I apologize for the lack of photos showing the step by step recipe. Sometimes recipes happen spontaneously and I forget! Lol! I will add the photos soon! Scary thing is that I have ingredients to prepare a cheeseball right now. It’s true!
You could prepare the cheeseballs a few days ahead of time. Keep them wrapped in plastic wrap and then place them into a plastic storage bag. Try not to use ingredients that are too wet or the cheeseball won’t firm up as well.