My first taste of chicken wings was at my husbands company Christmas party back in the 90’s! The 90’s? Sounds like it was so long ago! And my first taste of chargrilled wings? Just a few years ago actually. I was hooked!
Love fried chicken wings! But I feel like I am wasting my calories, Lol! I always say if I am going to indulge and consume the fat and calories then make it worthwhile! If you have not tried chargrilled wings with a touch of wood smoke, you should.
Are you a crispy wing lover? You could always flash fry the chargrilled wings when they come off the grill. Or better yet, have your cast iron skillet with oil on the hot side of your grill. Done!
Lime Pepper Chargrilled Wings
- 4 pounds fresh chicken wings
- Coarse sea salt
- Lime Pepper seasoning store bought
- Lime wedges
- We use a charcoal grill. If using charcoal, you will have to maintain the heat by adding more charcoal when needed. If you would like to add some wood smoke flavor to the wings, you will need some wood chips that were previously soaked in water.
- Place wings on a large baking sheet. Pat dry with paper towels. Season wings, on both sides, with lime pepper seasoning. Let them sit for at least 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Set up your grill for indirect grilling. Meaning one side will be the hot side and one side will be the cool side(no heat source underneath). Close the lid and let it get hot.
- When ready, place all the wings on the cool side of the grill. I like to place the bigger wings(meatiewings closest to the heat source. Spread them out evenly, Close the lid and let them cook for 45-60 minutes.
- Halfway through the cooking time, rotate the wings around. Use a meat thermometer in the meatiest wings to check the internal temperature. It should be 165 degrees F.
- If the temperature is 165 degrees F, then move all of the wings above the direct heat source. Sear the wings, turning and rotating as needed. Remove from heat and let them rest for a few minutes.
Garnish with fresh lime wedges.
*You can use your favorite dry rub or seasoning blend. go to the end of the blog post to see a link for a homemade recipe for lime pepper marinade on my blog.
* If you like you can baste the wings with your favorite wing sauce before taking them off the grill.
*Tips- if the lime pepper seasoning is salty, don’t use any extra salt.
This whole world of grilling opened up to me when I learned about indirect and direct heat grilling!
Look for fresh, not frozen, chicken wings in the meat department of your local markets. In my experience, it just seems that the frozen really hold in a lot of water. I have to really take the time to dry them off before cooking.
There are those pork country ribs again!! Posting soon, I promise!
We love our simple charcoal grill. I insisted on wanting to learn grilling with charcoal. I have a stove inside if I want to cook that way.
I almost basted them with some wings sauce, but honestly didn’t think the chargrilled wings needed anything else.
Homemade Lime Pepper Marinade! Click link! https://pinaenlacocina.com/2015/07/21/spicy-lime-pepper-chicken-tacos-dorados-de-pollo/