If you enjoy piña loca, then why not piña loca paletas? I am officially kicking off the summer of 2019 with this crazy pineapple paleta! Just when you think everything and every flavor has already been done, the piña loca happens! Many of you that have been following my food journey, know how special the pineapple is to me. And for those of you who are following me for the first time, here is why. My dad, Ramiro, lovingly gave all of us kids a nickname soon after we were born. My nickname was piñita(little pineapple). Most likely is was due to my light colored hair that stood straight up and all over resembling the top of a pineapple, lol!
Piña Loca Paleta
Freshly blended pineapple agua fresca and your favorite Mexican-style tamarindo candy! Sweet, tart, spicy and ice cold! Perfect paleta for the summer!
- 5 1/2 cups fresh pineapple diced
- 4 cups water
- Juice of 1 large lime
- Agave syrup to taste
- Assorted soft Mexican tamarind candies chopped
- Chamoy salsa
- Your favorite chile limon powder
- 12 (5.5-6 ouncdisposable cups with lids
- 6 large craft sticks cut in half
- In the blender combine the 4 cups fresh pineapple, 4 cups of water, juice of 1 lime and agave syrup(to taste). Blend on high until very smooth.
Taste for sweetness and adjust if needed. Let agua fresca sit until the foam on top reduces and settles. Or you can scoop it out. If using a power blender, like a vitamix, there is no real need to strain the agua fresca. Otherwise I would suggest straining through a wire strainer after the foam settles.
- When ready, place your disposable cups on a tray or baking sheet. To each cup, pour in 1 tablespoon of chamoy, 1/2 teaspoon of chile limon powder, a few pieces of pineapple and a few pieces of the smaller tamarind candies.
- To each cup pour in 1/8 cup of agua fresca. Stir each one gently and let sit for 5 minutes. The pour in enough agua fresca until it comes up to the halfway mark on the cup. Add in a little more chile limon seasoning and chamoy. Add a few more pieces of tamarind candy and pineapple. Repeat with agua fresca, pineapple, chile limon and chamoy.
After cutting the slits in the lids, push the sticks in the opening, cut side down. Secure onto filled cups, making sure sticks are centered and lids are tight. Freeze overnight or if you have time, 24 hours is best. When ready, remove from freezer and let stand at room temperature for a few minutes before removing from cup.
For a quicker version, you could use canned pineapple and juice. But I do suggest using fresh when possible.