Papas en salsa translates to potatoes in salsa! It is as easy as that! Minimal ingredients, but with alot of flavor. If you are looking for a different dish to pass at your next potluck, you cant’ go wrong with these zesty papas en salsa. You could take it to the next level and add a layer of shredded cheese. Pop it under the broiler until all the cheese is melted and bubbly. Now I just made myself hungry! A salsa verde version is just as tasty. Prepare both, add some crema, queso fresco and cilantro.
Papas en Salsa Guajillo(Potatoes in Salsa)
Potatoes in salsa is a tasty way to serve these quick cooking baby potatoes. Serve it as an appetizer or as a side dish.
- 4 chile guajillo stems and seeds removed
- 6 chile de arbol remove stems only
- 1/4 section of onion
- 2-3 cloves of garlic.
- 1 C of cooking water from chiles
- Juice of 1 large orange
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 C grapeseed oil plus 2 tablespoons reserved
- 2 pounds baby potatoes previously cooked
- Lime for garnish
- chopped cilantro or parsley
- Crumbled queso fresco
- In a medium pot, add the guajillos, chile de arbol, onion and garlic. Cover with water. Bring to a boil at medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat, cover and let cool.
- While the chiles cool, add the potatoes to a pot. Cover generously with water. Season with 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and boil lightly until fork tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain the water and reserve.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the guajillos, chile de arbol, onion and garlic to the blender. Ad in the juice of 1 orange, 1 cup of cooking water, 1/4 cup of oil, salt and pepper to taste. Blend on high until very smooth. Strain the sauce into a bowl and reserve.
- Preheat 2 tablespoons of oil to medium heat in a large skillet. Add the potatoes and cook just to warm and to lightly brown the skins. After a few minutes, pour in the strained chile sauce. Stir well to combine and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve right away. Garnish with lime juice, chopped cilantro, parsley or crumbled cheese.
The chile sauce can be used for so many recipes. Delicious for spicy enchiladas, chicken wings or on huevos rancheros!