Winter, spring, summer or fall. No matter what time a year it is, I don’t think I could ever refuse a bowl of caldo de camarones(shrimp soup)! Besides, the shrimp, the ingredients I used for this caldo de camarones are staples that I would normally have on hand. No Mexican kitchen could be without fresh tomato, chiles, onion, garlic and cilantro. A simple Mexican soup is delicious! A simple Mexican soup with garnishes, is amazing and very satifying! My choice of garnishes on this day were fried tortilla strips prepared with homemade corn tortillas, key limes, cilantro and avocado. Simple and delicious.
Caldo de Camarones(Shrimp Soup)
This easy and delicious Mexican shrimp soup is based on a traditional tortilla soup. I added vegetables and went light on the garnishes. Tasty!
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 2 red chile fresno
- 2 chile serrano
- 1/2 white onion
- 4 cloves garlic skins on
- 3 chile guajillo stems and seeds removed
- 4 cups water
- 4 tsp of knorr chicken/tomato bouillon
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 1 cup onion diced
- 2 cups carrots diced
- 2 cups zucchini diced
- 4-5 fresh epazote leaves or 1 tsp. dried
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano
- Handful of fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 24 xlarge shrimp peeled and deveined
- more cilantro
- fried tortilla strips
- On a preheated comal or griddle, place the tomatoes, chiles, onion and garlic. Dry roast the ingredients for 25 minutes. Remove the garlic after 10-12 minutes and set aside.
- Add 1/4 cup of oil to a small skillet and heat to medium heat. After 2 minutes, add the chile guajillo. It will fry quickly and become aromatic. turn as needed and cook for just a few seconds per side. Remove from oil and set aside.
- Peel the garlic and add to the blender. Also add all the dry roasted ingredients and the fried chile guajillo. Add 2 cups of water and 4 tsp of knorr bouillon(chicken flavor). Blend on high until smooth. Using a wire mesh strainer, strain the blended sauce into a bowl. Set aside.
- In a deep skillet, add 3 tablespoons of oil and preheat at medium for 3-4 minutes. Add the onions and carrots. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the strained sauce to the pot. It should come to a boil quickly. Reduce heat slightly and cook for 7-10 minutes. Taste for salt.
- Add 2 more cups of water, epazote, bay leaves oregano and cilantro. Also add the 2 cups of zucchini. Stir well to combine and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Finally add in the shrimp. Stir gently, cover and continue cooking for 5-6 minutes. Take the soup off the heat and let sit for 5 minutes.
If you wanted to serve this as a traditional tortilla soup, add fried tortilla strips to the bottom of bowl before ladeling hot soup over the top. Garnish with queso fresco, crema, avocado, lime and fried chile bits.