Here it is early Friday morning again and I am clueless as to what dish to pass to prepare for the small community lunch that I attend. The first thing that always comes to mind is a sopa de arroz. I always have rice available and it’s an easy and quick dish to prepare. And lucky for me I had a good variety of vegetables in my refrigerator too! Instead of preparing the usual Mexican-style red rice, I decided to add some extra broth to yield a somewhat soupy vegetables and rice. In Spanish it is called arroz caldoso and it’s loved by all ages. On many occasions when I have previously cooked shredded chicken ,I like to add it in to this recipe. And it’s just as delicious to add the blended tomato as it is to use straight chicken broth. Both versions are equally tasty. Again I apologize for the lack of prep pictures as well as the recipe plated on my table, lol! I don’t often have time to stage a picture when it comes to the dishes I prepare for the community lunch. I will be loading a short video on YouTube very soon. Then you can see how easily it comes together.
Arroz Caldoso con Calabacitas
Easy Mexican recipe! Easy Mexican recipe that is delicious and satifying, bonus!
- 1 cup jasmine rice or long grain rice
- 1/2 sweet onion diced
- 1 large carrots diced fine
- 2-3 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 jalapeño minced(removing seeds is optional)
- salt and pepper
- 4 roma tomatoes blended until smooth
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2-3 tsp knorr tomato/chicken bouillon
- 2 small calabacitas sliced into half moons
- 1 cup frozen corn
- handful of cilantro
- To a skillet, add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the rice and heat to medium. Cook and toast the rice, stirring as needed until it becomes aromatic and lightly brown from toasting in the oil. Set aside.
- In another deep skillet, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat to medium. Add the onions, carrots, garlic and jalapeño. Season lightly with salt and pepper and saute for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes to the blender and blend until smooth. Pour into deep skillet with vegetables. Cook for one minute. Add the chicken broth and tomato/chicken bouillon. Bring to a boil and taste for salt and pepper.
- After it boils for 3-4 minutes, add the rice in. Stir gently and cook covered for 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and cilantro. Cook for another 6 minutes. Finally Add the corn evenly over the top. Cover with lid, reduce heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes. Serve right away for a more soupy rice. Yields 6 Servings.
If you wanted to switch out the rice for a small pasta shape you could do that. Follow the instructions as listed.