Looking for a delicious taco recipe for a party? This recipe for al pastor al horno(roasted pork) will make you the hit of the night! The combination of flavors from the recado(chile marinade) and the sweet pineapple are just right. I have prepared this recipe on several occasions on my stove top. I found that the oven method worked better for me and yields a very tender pork! If you get a chance, I would suggest preparing the al pastor recado(chile marinade) ahead of time. The flavors will just intensify after a few days. It can also be stored in the freezer to use for a later date. The traditional pork al pastor is cooked on a large rotiserrie, based on Shawarma split grilled meat brought by the Lebanese immigrants to central Mexico. The meat is typically sliced into thin layers, marinated and then stacked high on a big trompo(spit). As it roasts, the meat is shaved off to serve in tacos with it’s signature pineapple garnish. The oven roasted method is not traditional, but just a homecook’s version. The flavors are all there. So what are you waiting for to throw for your next taquiza(taco party)?
Al Pastor al Horno(Roasted Pork)
This pork al pastor recipe is perfect when you need tacos for a crowd! It's delicious and freezer friendly!
- 5 pounds pork butt boneless, sliced into 10-12 large chunks
- 1 1/2 teaspoons each of the following spices; salt pepper, ancho powder, cumin, Mexican oregano(crushed) and garlic powder
- Grapeseed or olive oil
- 3 cups achiote/chile sauce recado See link below
- 1 large onion sliced into rings
- 6 fresh pineapple rings plus more for garnish
- After slicing the pork, season the pork on all sides with spice mix. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large skillet, preheat 1/4 cup of grapeseed or olive oil to medium/high heat. Sear the meat and transfer to a large baking dish. Cover with recado until evenly coated. Add a layer of sliced onions and then pineapple on top.
- Cover tightly with foil and roast for 3 hours at 350 degrees.
- Uncover and move the pork to the top. Remove excess grease on top.
- Braise uncovered for another hour. Remove the meat. Chop the pineapple and onions and mix with sauce it braised in. Roughly chop the meat and fold meat back in.
- You can sear the meat before serving in tacos. Serve with grilled pineapple, salsa verde, onion, cilantro and lime.
Click on this link to see the full recipe on how to prepare a recado(marinade) for al pastor at home.
If you wanted to prepare an oven roasted version of carnitas, you could skip the al pastor recado(marinade) and follow directions for roasting.
I grilled the pineapple slices on a cast iron stove top grill pan. It really add a nice smoky flavor to the pineapple. Drizzle with a little oil before grilling for a few minutes on each side.
If you have a gas stove, you could sear the pork directly in the roasting pan and then just transfer to the oven as directed.
Tomatillo Salsa Recipes!
Homemade Corn Tortillas!
Quesadillas Gringas is simply queso Oaxaca with some of the pork al pastor! Delicious! Oh and homemade flour tortillas!