Chile lime pumpkin seeds or semillitas as I knew them, have been one of my favorites since I was a kid. Any nuts, seeds or candy with chile lime seasoning were always my antojito (snack)of choice when we would visit Mexico. Soon, all these antojitos were available in the states. I especially purchase pumpkins in the fall just so I can prepare my spicy semillitas de calabaza! The key to extra crispy chile lime pumpkin seeds is to let them dry out overnight. It’s just a quick 15 minutes in the oven and you are ready to enjoy this Mexican snack(antojito)! #pepitas #falltreats #calabaza
Some of my other favorite recipes using fresh pumpkins besides these chile lime pumpkin seeds ar Calabaza en Tacha(Candied Pumpkin in Syrup) and Empanadas de Calabaza(Pumpkin Empanadas). The links are directly below.
Chile Lime Pumpkin Seeds
One of my favorite recipes to prepare when I purchase fresh pumpkins every fall!
- 1 full cup fresh pumpkin seeds previously cleaned and dried out
- juice of 1 lime
- salt to taste
- grapeseed or olive oil
- chile de arbol powder or cayenne pepper
- Tajin chile lime powder
- After you wash the fresh pumpkin seeds, place them onto a parchment lined baking sheet and let them dry out for a few hours. Then transfer them to a bowl and add the lime juice, salt to taste, 1 tablespoon of oil, 1/3 teaspoon chile de arbol powder and 2 teaspoons of tajin. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Spread the seeds onto baking sheet in one even layer. At thins time, I sprinkled a light layer of chile lime powder to make sure they were evenly coated.
- Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven for 10 minutes. Remove from oven, mix and spread out evenly once again.
- Bake for 5 more minutes. They will crisp up more as the
Tips~ If you want to add a heavier coating of chile lime, could squeeze add more lime juice and oil and repeat adding more chile lime powder after they have baked for 10 minutes. Just enough to moisten, don't add too much
Spicy Pumpkin Seeds. This is an older recipe I posted a few years ago. I would suggest letting the pumpkin seeds dry out overnight as I directed in the recipe above.