This semi-homemade, Restaurant-Style Salsa(Easy Tomato Jalapeño Salsa) was inspired by a trip to San Antonio, Texas. Many times the restaurants(not all of them) will use canned tomatoes to prepare their table salsa. And even though I do prefer salsa’s prepared with fresh ingredients, this salsa was good! It was kind of addicting.
Restaurant-Style Salsa. Easy Tomato Jalapeño Salsa
Easy restaurant-style salsa in minutes!
- 1 large cans 28 oz. of Hunt’s whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup of “La Costena” pickled jalapenos sliced, plus 1/4 cup of the brine from jalapeños (The brine from the jalapeños is the key to this tasty and easy salsa recipe)
- 1/2 cup of sauteed or grilled white onions diced fine
- Juice of 1 large lime or 3 key limes, I do prefer the flavor of key limes
- 1 teaspoons of granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- salt to taste
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Combine all of the ingredients in the blender, minus the cilantro. Pulse to blend until desired consistency. Add the cilantro and pulse a few more times. Taste for salt. The flavors will improve in a day!
Tips~ The original version I prepared had 2 teaspoons of onion powder. For the contest I entered we sauteed onions and added them. It was tasty! The salsa will taste better the next day.
After experimenting with the ingredients and the ratio’s, I think I finally was happy with the results of restaurant-style salsa. I served this salsa every Friday at a Mexican lunch I served at the local kitchen store. It especially came in handy during the winter when fresh tomatoes are very expensive in central New York. People really seemed to enjoy the salsa. It even won me a first place trophy a few years back in a salsa contest, lol! Crazy, right?
One of my nice followers messaged me to tell me she prepared this recipe. She canned it and sent it all the way to Saudi Arabia! Her daughter, who was in the military there, loved it! The moral of the story is that sometimes we find ourselves in situations where we may need to adapt. My entire life in central New York has been about adapting. Adapting to different situations in a way that makes for a happier life. And whether it’s the most authenic salsa or a semi-homemade, Tex Mex version, make it the best dang salsa that it can be! #foodieforlife #salsarecipes
Saute onions in 1 tablespoon of oil for 3 minutes. Adding raw onions may be to strong, but if you prefer that flavor, that’s ok too.